General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headbolt torque problem/worry???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question headbolt torque problem/worry???

hello again,wanna say-thanx alot for the info ive already found and recieved and used from this awesom forum.
now heres my new worry?
the headbolts on my 99 range rover,4.0LT are supoe to be torqued to 15FT.LBS.,then a 90 degree turn,then a final 90degree turn.well all i got on both heads was,I turned until i heard the click at 15FT.LBS.,then on my second go around,if i got a 90 degree turn on any of them,i dont beleive it,as for the third turn,maybe i got a 1/4 to 3/8`s of a turn,just like on the 2nd turn,and this was on every bolt between the 2 heads.
just wonderen if this is how it works on range rovers?? Or should i push on,and make the 90degree turns happen?? I just backed off from doing so,becuase i would hate to strip a thread on the block and have to mess with fixen that.(ive had that happen a couple times before on GMC blocks and BMW blocks,all becuase i pushed on like the book/directions said to do)
so throw me your opions or advice or your how too`s on the headbolt torquen,please?
thanx in advance and god bless,charlie in fl.......

Old 07-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charrliy525
hello again,wanna say-thanx alot for the info ive already found and recieved and used from this awesom forum.
now heres my new worry?
the headbolts on my 99 range rover,4.0LT are supoe to be torqued to 15FT.LBS.,then a 90 degree turn,then a final 90degree turn.well all i got on both heads was,I turned until i heard the click at 15FT.LBS.,then on my second go around,if i got a 90 degree turn on any of them,i dont beleive it,as for the third turn,maybe i got a 1/4 to 3/8`s of a turn,just like on the 2nd turn,and this was on every bolt between the 2 heads.
just wonderen if this is how it works on range rovers?? Or should i push on,and make the 90degree turns happen?? I just backed off from doing so,becuase i would hate to strip a thread on the block and have to mess with fixen that.(ive had that happen a couple times before on GMC blocks and BMW blocks,all becuase i pushed on like the book/directions said to do)
so throw me your opions or advice or your how too`s on the headbolt torquen,please?
thanx in advance and god bless,charlie in fl.......
Did you use new head bolts or re-use the originals ?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

You only use new stretch bolts, not aftermarket and turn those puppies a full 90 degrees.
Do you also know the proper bolt sequence when reinstalling them

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
5th Gear

Heres the quickest breakdown of"explanation/facts?",Headbolts ordered from atlantic british,along with the gasket set,There info said to torque to 15FT.LBS.,,Then 90 degrees on 2nd go around,Then 90 degrees-aGAIN-On a 3rd go around.(AND YES THE SAME TIGHTENING PATTERN/SEQUENCE THEY SENT WITH THE PRODUCTS,IS NO DIFFERENT THEN ANY OTHER HEADJOB,BOLT PATTERN,I`VE EVER DONE BEFORE),,
QUESTION IS AND WAS?15FT.LBS. is lower then any headbolt ive ever installed in my life,"Hell"My snapon torque wrench i beleive takes them to 18ft.lbs. or more before even clicken,,anyways,,,,,
heres my point and worry and QUESTION??I

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 PM
5th Gear

DAMMIT! HIT WRONG KEY AND POSTED BEFORE ENDING,,Sorry bout that.....
question and worry i have is this:
15ft.lbs. on every bolt,then on second pass,maybe got 90 degrees on them,but on third pass i was lucky if i got 25 degrees of turn on them.And after seeing how frkn thin and cheap these damb motors are built,i was scared to strip the threads or crack the block or head etc;...,,,
SO IS THIS GOOD TO GO?????
MAIN POINT IS:ALLUMINUM HEADS AND BLOCKS ON V8 OR V6 MOTORS,WITH THIN A$$ WALLS AND NO WATER JACKET HOLES ALL IN THEM?MIGHT ASWELL BE AIR COOLED.