General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! air suspension

Good to hear that your problem was a relatively minor one. I don't know where you fellas live, but at this time of year EAS always starts acting up.

The majority of the time EAS problems can be traced to a single source, and air leak. Usually these are hard to find, and most of the time are ignored until the system falls on it's face. Then everybody starts running around like Chicken Little. To avoid this, and some of the expensive repairs that can accompany them, do a little investigation and maintenance.

When you first notice that one corner may be dropping overnight but will pump right back up in the morning. Grab yourself a spray bottle of soapy water and a flashlight, (Torch for you Brits), and crawl under the vehicle. Spray liberally looking especially close at any connection where a line starts or ends. Historically the orings in the intake collets on the airsprings will flatten out and shrink with the change to cooler weather. Find the offenders and replace them. It will save you a ton of headaches.

What happens if you don't? Well, you have pretty much heard all of the horror stories. That's why you are here.

Myself, I hate EAS. Think it's the dumbest thing I ever heard of for an off road vehicle! No, I take that back....ABS and traction control are the stupidest. EAS comes in a close second!

Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 PM
4wd Low

For the coil conversion, you only need to replace the shocks because the coils have a longer travel. The eas shocks work fine with coils, but they limit the axle travel -- presumably eas has a lot less travel than coils.

I just spent $476 on coil parts from Rovertym. I liked the air, but was resolved to replace it with the first problem. That came two weeks ago.

So I have eas spares, if anyone is interested. I don't know what my problem was, but think it was either an invisible hole in LF spring or leak at an air pipe (they seemed loose, but those kinds of connections always do).

Along the way I learned that AiRock is presently developing a replacement eas controller. A couple emails I got from Steve Stalboerger:

"Ironically, we're working on this right now. I've got 5 Rovers that are currently running my AiROCK controls and my shorter airsprings. These are netting a near stock ride height on road with a much taller offroad height when needed along with a wider range of travel. We did find however, that we needed to modifiy our controls to better suit the heavier, non-balanced front to rear Rovers, and we are in the final stages of testing that as we speak."

"And I am aware of the failures, as we have engineered a solution to this in our firmware. We allow the AiROCK to tell the operator if there has been an action that has made a sensor questionable, we read that and tell the operator that it isn't working, and then we over ride that reading, allowing the AiROCK to use the remaining 3 heights and then pressure on the questionable corner to balance the ride, along with operating at 95% (It disallows the active on road height management) of the capacity, still allowing full offroad manual control to get off the trail without issue.
I understand your pain with the hard faults, good luck!"

Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Drifting

I AM!~!
had the truck 1 week.. same thing.. now back at the dealer.. they say i need drivers valve block.. and the driver.