General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for the outside air temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still Cold

We took the Range Rover today for a Saturday dinner out and a visit to the store for bread and milk. Because of the 95 degree heat down here we still are afraid of the RR's AC failing again, so we don't drive it very far.
We drove it about 55 miles total and the AC still worked great, but my wife and I admitted to each other on returning home, that we both said a little prayer for cold air.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Mudding
Default But not perfect yet

Until the temp drops below 90 we have not used the RR as often as we did before the AC started acting up. It's been perfect for weeks but the AC today failed on startup and the book symbol was back on.
I drove the RR to the mailbox and shut down the engine and restarted it. The AC came on great and the "Book" was gone.
We drove the RR about 100 miles today and stopped at several places to shop and eat, and at every restart the AC worked fine, NO book symbol for the rest of the day.

It may appear that the AC control is dying but for now I'll take the restart at the mailbox every time we leave the house.......

Old 10-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Mudding
Default Still cold

We went to church this past Friday because it's First Friday again. It's been a month since the AC started working with a restart at the mailbox. On startup the "Book" symbol comes on and I can tell the AC flaps and the blowers are confused but every day and every time we leave the house in the RR I restart at the street and everything related to the AC controls work perfectly.

At this time I'm not going to change the AC control unit. At first I was afraid to touch the AC controls since the previous setting was working, but for the last few weeks I've changed the fan speeds on both sides, changed the temp setting on both sides and set the AC on recycle inside air and back to AUTO setting and the AC control unit responds flawlessly.

I retired 13 years ago and due to the dollar's value we have tightened or belt until the next election. I do enjoy the look of the Range Rover and I want to keep this on on the road. I don't think I'll be able to afford to buy another RR, but for now I pray for answers to how to keep this one running.

Has anyone else had the same style trouble with the AC unit and was able to survive with out replacing it?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Mudding
Default First Friday again in the RR

November 1st was our First Friday again where we go to the small Chapel on the side of the church and spend and hour in prayer for our sick friends.
As I started the Rover yesterday morning the Book symbol was back on the screen, and as usual the blowers made weird sounds, but the AC still struggled to work for the five miles to church.
As we left the church once again the Book symbol was gone on restart and the AC worked great to cool down the Rover after sitting 60 minutes in the hot sun. We made several stops at family and stores with restarts and the AC kept working all day.
I can't say the prayers keeps the AC going but after almost four months since it failed, but each restart clears the AC problem.
I hope I don't bore anyone here with this on going post about the AC stoping and working, but I was ready to rip out the Control unit and spend over a thousand dollars to replace it, but I can live with a restart. I hope it helps someone here to not give up.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem

I feel you pain. I live in Arkansas. The outside temp was triple digits. The reading was below freezing and the heat was running. I have a 1996 RR. To say the least I was more than irritated.

Yall have a great day.

Roger

Old 11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Mudding

We took the RR again today to visit the Funeral Home to finalize things for my wife's father who passed away last Thursday morning at 2:15, here at our home. He was 79, and just a week before his 80th birthday, of stage four cancer.

At startup the book symbol was on the screen, and the fans were again odd sounding. The AC control unit said it was 52 degrees. As we left the funeral home the book was gone and the AC worked great again, fans and all.

It's turning off cool down here this week and it's said to get down to the upper 20 degrees tonight.
I don't know how the AC/heat controls will work when the outside air temp really reflects the correct temp near freezing. It's work great when the air was 95 degrees.
It's a mystery I can live with.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Mudding
Default Unexpected new problem

For those who have been following my post, a new problem has arrived. The book symbol still goes away after a restart and the AC works great.
But last week, it started to get cold down here in south Louisiana. Down to 28 degrees. The high several days is 37 degrees. On the first startup in the morning the book is on the display and goes away on the restart, but the heater part of the system does not work great any longer.
I tried all the different settings on heat but nothing works to give us hot air. The fans do not operate normally even though the book symbol is gone.

Now the RR does warm up inside so we do get heat from somewhere, and with the heated seats we are OK for now. The fans will blow cold air, with the AC switch off, so we keep the system on recycle.
It's warm enough to keep the windows from clouding up so something is working to keep us from freezing, and we still say a little prayer to keep us warm and cool.
It's not perfect but it works.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 PM
Mudding
Default Little update

Since the weather turned cold in south Louisiana the AC/Heater control unit has been acting a little different.
When the weather was hot, all I had to do was restart the RR after about a 10 minute run and the "Book" symbol was gone and the AC would work perfectly all day.
Now it's been down to 20 degrees and the whole control unit screen is blank, nothing as if no contols, but wait.
With the front and back electronic defrost, we stay on the road.
I though we would be cold without the heater control but we're not. The heater puts out great heat and I know the fan is stuck on low but that's OK. After five minutes or so were are toasty inside. When the weather was hot I kept the temp control on about 75 and it cooled us fine.
Now that the screen is blank, I touch the temp up button anyway five times which should be 80 degrees, and it get warm.

So, so far it's still cold AC after restart while the weather is hot and touch up the blank screen and were warm.

We still pray to be warm and cool and so far it works for us.

I'm waiting for the early warm springtime to see if a restart will still give us AC.....

Old 01-17-2014, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Those evil robots!!

Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Mudding

Today is our First Friday again at our Church, and I started the RR about 8 minutes before we left to warm it up, since it was 28 degrees here in south Louisiana. We are just 30 miles from the gulf of mexico, it's cold down here this winter. It was warm inside all the way to chuch.
The failing AC/Heat control is still hanging on and keeping us warm inside the RR. The climate screen comes on every now and then and the unit is set to 80 degrees. I haven't changed it lately but at 80, even with the screen off I can lower the temp by counting the number of clicks I make in the device.
Since it started failing last August, the controls have been mainly left alone other than a 5 or 6 degree change depending on the weather.
I'm going to leave it alone and keep the faith that we have had help from above to keep us comfortable.

I'm looking for summer to start and day for us down here and looking to see if the AC controls work again with cold air in the hot Louisiana sun.

Quick Reply: Looking for the outside air temp sensor