General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing coolant

I just got an oil change and battery, butnoticed a burning smell after my drive home (about 20 miles). Not too strong, but definitely noticeable. I brought the truck back to my mechanic and had him take a look. He checked it out and said that there were no oil leaks. He did say that he had to add a half gallon of antifreeze and suspects there to be a coolant leak. Now, I top off the overflow every two months or so for good measure, but now it seems that I'm losing more coolant than usual.

As for any other symptoms, I am not running hot, there is no foam or coolant in my oil and I'm not blowing any smoke. About 6 months ago, I did overheat due to a faulty overflow cap. I replaced the cap and everything was fine.

Also, heater core, water pump, o-rings were replaced about 2 years and 25K miles ago. No coolant on passenger side floor.

If this was any other car, I would have the mechanic pressure test the system, but I didn't know if that was possible with the RR's cooling system. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Losing coolant

Sure it is possibel. Sounds like he is not much of a Rover mechanic. Find another shop or go to a radiator shop and have the pressure test the system.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Drifting

Well, I went to a different shop on Friday to have the cooling system pressure tested. They had my truck for an hour. I was told that my system was holding pressure at 19lbs. They also said that there are no "obvious leaks." When I explained that I was more concerned with the leaks that were not obvious, I was told to monitor it and see if it gets worse.

That being said, I am certain something isn't right. I'm losing coolant and there is an odor which seems strongest on the left side of the engine compartment. Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Call me, we need to talk.
303-862-7680
Colorado between 7 am and 8 pm

Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Overlanding
Default Same issue?

Hi:

Very new to this forum...quite a source of information! Many thanks to all who post on here with helpful insights. We (my wife drives it mostly)...have a 03 Disco which just turned 85k miles...It has been serviced as required. We run all synthetic in diffs and oil if that matters at all. I have limited mechanical ability in that I can change fluids, plugs..but not much more.

We have noticed of late that it seems to be losing coolant. I have checked for leaks etc. and find none. The oil is not milky at all...and the temp gauge is dead on the middle after warming up....no abnormal white smoke either. I put about a half gallon of Dex-Cool pre-mix in about a week ago....just put the rest of the jug in today....that seems like a lot to me?

What else could be going on? I looked around the TB area to see if perhaps it was leaking there (valley pan?)...didn't see any obvious signs? HELP PLEASE?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, it must be going somewhere. Look under it to see if there are any leaks. Is it blowing any white smoke? Any antifreeze smell?

Old 01-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Overlanding
Thumbs up No x3

No to all 3 questions...thanks for the reply. As you can likely tell by my post...I tried to read up a bit first before posting to see if I could rule out certain things.

I will keep a close eye on both coolant level and oil dipstick/cap over the next week or so.

I know these things have a reputation for burning some oil...but coolant? Any ideas on that? Do they burn coolant at all? Where I had just topped it off ...and then the need to refill with the other half of the gallon so soon....got me nervous...maybe it was just that low? Although I did have it flushed and refilled at a shop about a year ago....maybe they didn't refill all the way?

I hear no gurgling and it heats correctly so I ruled out the need to rebleed...it also heats well which argues against a bad thermostat...not to mention...where did that coolant go? YIKES!

Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Headgasket??

Old 01-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head gaskets are always a first place to look. You could be losing some from the throttle body heater and it evaporates quickly so you do not ever see it. I have had leaks that come from very small places and fortunately I have a very keen nose for the smell of coolant.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Overlanding
Default Thanks!

If it is the HG...tough call on down the road (as I have neither the tools nor time for that undertaking)...I was hoping against common sense it was something else...but looks like it is confirmed:<

Quick Reply: Losing coolant