General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lower front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:14 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lower front end vibration

Hello all. I replaced my leaking airbags with Atlantic British standard coil springs. When I droped my 99 4.0 off the lift, the four bottom coils where completly compressed. This didn't seem right to me. My tires would actually hit the cowlings on hard right or left turns, such as into a driveway. Atlantic British was nice enough to send me an upgrade to the heavy duty springs at no extra charge. I also added four Bilstien shocks to the undercarriage. A new issue has surfaced. At +50 mph under load or accelerating,a low groan is coming from the front suspension. I can level out at say, 65 or 75 with no noise. I can bring the noise about with the accelerator, yes, no, yes, no, etc. It is truley an awesome ride, but this noise, quite frankly, has me worried a bit. Any ideas ladies and gents?

Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: lower front end vibration

Can you better describe the noise? Could you have a front drive shaft u-joint issue that is showing up with the lift?
Mike

Old 04-19-2007, 12:30 PM
4wd Low

The noise is very similar to running on the warning bumbs on the interstate. Loud vibration.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I would suggest you have someone inspect the drive shaft, sooner then later. If it is a u-joint and it fails, it will be a costly repair.
Mike

Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your Range Rover put on a lift -- with someone in the driver seat to run it up in gear to about 50mph--indicated. Then have them lift off the throttle to allow coastdown ---repeat this on/off routine. A mechanic can listen at the front differential for evidence of bearing and ring&pinionwear --- as this will manifest itself as an audible groan--- its very obvious-- and translates to the type of noise on the highway that you describe.

regards,

geoman

Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 AM
4wd Low

I'm on it. Will let you know. Thanks

Old 04-28-2007, 02:06 AM
7th Gear

I had exactly the same problem and I found it tonight...see if the front U Jouint onthe front drive shaft is rubbing against your sway bar. I know sound crazy but I just found the groove chewed into the top of my sway bar after I noticed the coupling between my shaft and the u jount was shiney (not normal in an old RR in Buffalo)

I know it seems far fetched but thats what my rumble turned out to be.

Joe
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 AM
Drifting

My girlfriend has a front Hotchkis sway bar on her rover. We have never been able to keep the bar quiet. It makes a lot of poping noises when the suspension moves. I suspected also that front U joint onthe driveshaft is rubbing against the bar. Anyway, we've tried greaseing it really well and replacing the bushings with no luck. So, when we brought to a mechanic, he first checked the sub frame and then centered the sway bar (it walks back and forth) after seeing where it made contact with the control arm. A quick fix was after centering, put a couple of hose clamps on the bar between the two bushings. Sort of like a primitive drill-stop.. Then it was fixed immediately.. Good luck!!!