Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   General Range Rover Discussion - Archived (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/)
-   -   Oil Filters for the RR 02 p38 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/general-range-rover-discussion-archived-19/oil-filters-rr-02-p38-39364/)

RROJ 03-22-2011 01:14 PM

Oil Filters for the RR 02 p38

Guys which oil filters are best? Atlantic British has a small selection. Most say "short" filters. I'll buy a case of which ever you guys recommend.

LRScott 03-22-2011 06:33 PM

I use a napa gold filter. Seems to work fine. I might try a different one just for heck of it though... Since using it my rover has developed a subtle moan. My other car didn't like it either. The moan could be unrelated to the filter, but we'll see when I change it out. I've heard frams are pretty good. Personally, I will just go with an OEM one from the dealership. My other cars seem to like it more when they get a filter that was actually designed for them.

RROJ 03-22-2011 08:47 PM

Atlantic British has the following:
"genuine equipment" @$12
Brand "Mahle" @ $6
Brand "K&N" @ $14
Brand "Mahle (short) 6 filters for $32
Has anyone out there on the forum have any opinion on any of the non original equipment oil filters?
I'm assuming OEM and "genuine equipment" means the same thing right???

antichrist 03-22-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by RROJ (Post 234597)
Guys which oil filters are best? Atlantic British has a small selection. Most say "short" filters. I'll buy a case of which ever you guys recommend.

I've been using Wix and Hastings/Baldwin filters for about over 35 years. They are both well regarded makes.
For V8's I use the long ones, I can only assume there's enough clearance on the RR.
Wix - Long 51512
Wix - Short 51068
Baldwin - Long B2

I pay about $5 each locally for the 51515.

Originally Posted by LRScott (Post 234659)
Personally, I will just go with an OEM one from the dealership. My other cars seem to like it more when they get a filter that was actually designed for them.

The filter the Rover V8's use wasn't designed for them. They are one of the most common and widely used filters.

gsd2004 03-22-2011 09:47 PM

To be honest I just use whatever the shop puts in. Its last oil change just happened at the dealer so I am back to OEM parts. But I have not noticed any change from what my local shop uses. I just use synthetic oil thats my big concern.

gsd2004 03-22-2011 09:49 PM

Any of you guys replaced your pollen filters recently? I just got mine from Atlantic British, when I took out the old ones I have a feeling they were original! They were awful!

RROJ 03-23-2011 01:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else out there have any different experiences good or bad? Thanks in advance.

Disco Mike 03-23-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by gsd2004 (Post 234724)
To be honest I just use whatever the shop puts in. Its last oil change just happened at the dealer so I am back to OEM parts. But I have not noticed any change from what my local shop uses. I just use synthetic oil thats my big concern.

Now that is one of the dumbest things you can do. The only thing a oil shop will install are junk filter costing them a $1.50 and selling it to you for the big bucks.
Only use a Top of the line filter, my choice is either a Mobil 1-301 or a K&N 3001.

antichrist 03-23-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Disco Mike (Post 234758)
The only thing a oil shop will install are junk filter costing them a $1.50 and selling it to you for the big bucks.

I'm sure the dealer, where he said he had it changed, uses the OEM Cooper filters.
But I agree they likely charge big bucks for it.

gsd2004 03-23-2011 10:36 PM

It works for me, my 98 Disco with 200,000 miles did not seem to mind when I sold it. I think alot of the money you pay for a K&N filter is in the name. But that being said, is it really worth my time and money to go buy a oil filter to give them? I already change my oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles with synthetic. I don't think I will be to concerned right now as the dealer just did the oil change. But if you guys think it is worth the money I would probably rather use an OEM filter I can get them cheaper.