General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Batteries - What size?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided to look into things a little more and I may have a bad alternator/voltage regulator. I ran some tests and my truck is only charging at 13.5V which for most vehicles is low. I am traveling so I don't have my RAVE handy. Can somebody tell me what the Rover should be charging at? I suspect mid to upper 14V. I think it has been this way for as long as I have had it (over a year and 30k miles.) The truck has always been very sensitive to leaving the lights on or playing the radio with the engine off. After about 20 min it would be dead. I always blamed it on the battery because it looks so small and age is unknown. It looks like it may never have been getting a full charge. This also explains why it always seems to crank slower than I felt it should.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Rock Crawling

Interesting. Mine does the exact same thing. Actually whenever I have to take it anywhere to have work done on it, I always include a small battery charger and tell them to make sure to hook it up if the doors will be open for more than 15 minutes. Your alternator output is the same as mine which I believe is correct. Another thing I have noticed is that after the battery dies, it takes the Rover a lot longer than most other vehicles to charge it back up via the alternator. I have just learned to live with it and just don't leave the doors open or play the radio when the engine is off. One thing I have thought of doing is just running dual batteries. Mine is converted to coils so the place where the EAS stuff is is plenty big enough for an extra battery. On a separate note, I can leave the Rover in the garage for two weeks without driving it, and it always fires right up.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

13.6-14.4v

Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by antichrist
13.6-14.4v
hmm... mine is on the low side of the specs. It just doesn't seem like it is enough. I may try the battery and see how it acts. I would love to hear what some of the other guys are getting for voltage readings on trucks that are working properly.

Wilson; Yours is the exact same as mine. It has always done it and I have just adapted to it. I just don't dare leave anything on without the engine running. And I always keep the jumper cables handy. I probably have to jump it every 6 to 8 weeks however it is usually in my driveway because I was working on it or something.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Rock Crawling

I always hook up a small battery charger on trickle charge before doing any work on the Rover when the doors will be open. It is really unbelivable that I can park my Chevrolet Van at work and listen to the radio all day and it starts right up at the end of the day. My Rover can't do that for 1/2 hour. Of course the Rover has amps and sounds awesome, but it is really hard for me to believe that when these vehicles were new, the battery would die so fast. If it helps, my alternator is about a year old. I'll check the voltage output tomorow when I start it up and post back, but I already know it is lower than any other car I have owned or worked on. I am convinced that all of these Range Rovers do this. I would love to hear from others on the list that have similar years.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mine ranges from 13.8-14.2 according to my scanguage.