General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 Coil Spring Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation P38 Coil Spring Comparison

Hey, forum!

Old Man Emu: Which springs do what in terms of lift and how do you denote medium duty and heavy duty on the spring visually?

Atlantic British: The heavy duty kit basically puts the vehicle at EAS highest setting permanently.

Terrafirma: They have a kit with shocks and one without. I have new Bilstiens on all four corners so I don't want the new shocks if I don't NEED them. With that said, will JUST the coils give the 2'' lift that they advertise?

StrutMasters: What ride height do these get the truck to?

I want the truck to basically be at EAS highest setting or slightly more but on coil springs, no more air bags for me.

What coils should I purchase? I see some DIRT CHEAP OME and AB AND Terrafirma for sale on ebay, but none of them give specs such as what ride height the truck will sit at when isntalled.

Thanks for all of your guys' advice in advance!

Best,
Ashtray

P.S. Do DiscoII coil springs or Classic coil springs work on the P38? Is anything interchangeable?

Old 02-25-2016, 05:54 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I have never heard of anyone knocking OME stuff.
you would have to check with bilstien to check the travel length on the shocks you used.

strutmasters No, not for off road, i have used there kit several times to replace town car rear bags and there kit works good for that.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Mudding

Okay but which springs do I get? They only make them for the Disco, Defender, and Classic...no P38 specific.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:45 AM
Baja

are you looking to go off road or is it mostly a street machine.
the last thing you want to do is put off road springs in a street machine,
you P-38 will suddenly ride like your dII

here are some OME # 2763 EHD rear, 2702 HD rear, 2781 MD rear.

front EHD 2766, HD 2751, 2761 MD

Hope it will help,
ps I think OME was bought by ARB

Last edited by drowssap; 02-26-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 PM
Mudding

Great thank you for the part numbers. So it will mainly be used as a street machine. But it will see off-road time for sure.

My biggest concern is that I buy MD springs to conserve comfy ride and then it ends up riding at normal ride height after I install them which I do not want because I want to have room for some beefy tires.

I've got a Lexus on VERY stiff coilovers with rubber bands for tires so I'm used to the stiff bumpy ride.

I am thinking of going with HD springs. It is a difficult decision though to be quite honest.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Why would you want stiff springs for a Range Rover, even offroad? Stiff springs are for heavy weights.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:01 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by binvanna
Why would you want stiff springs for a Range Rover, even offroad? Stiff springs are for heavy weights.
First, these trucks are VERY heavy. Second, it is not that I WANT stiff springs, I just imagine that the HD springs will give the desired ride height I want. If they give the same ride height then yeah sure maybe I will go with MD or MD/HD.

I just want to know what ride heights come from which springs. I can't imagine that they would all be the same across the board.

Edit: I might be underestimating just how HEAVY DUTY the HD springs are...perhaps MD is the best route. I'd still like to know the above mentioned.

Last edited by ashtray; 02-27-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Baja

Talk with a one dealer let them know what you have in mind.

Originally Posted by ashtray
First, these trucks are VERY heavy. Second, it is not that I WANT stiff springs, I just imagine that the HD springs will give the desired ride height I want. If they give the same ride height then yeah sure maybe I will go with MD or MD/HD.

I just want to know what ride heights come from which springs. I can't imagine that they would all be the same across the board.

Edit: I might be underestimating just how HEAVY DUTY the HD springs are...perhaps MD is the best route. I'd still like to know the above mentioned.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Try over at RANGEROVERS.NET HOME and RockRover - P38 Range Rover Winch Bumpers and Sliders the latter has spring sugggestions based on his modded P38, also nice bumpers and sliders.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:10 AM
Baja

The tricky part with spring is getting it all together.
Because if you have a stock truck and replace your existing spings with something made for bumpers and sliders. It is going to ride like crap until you add all the weight.

and if you buy springs for a stock truck and add bumpers and sliders later, then it will ride like crap.

In a perfect world you would do it all at once.

Originally Posted by jhmover
Try over at RANGEROVERS.NET HOME and RockRover - P38 Range Rover Winch Bumpers and Sliders the latter has spring sugggestions based on his modded P38, also nice bumpers and sliders.

Quick Reply: P38 Coil Spring Comparison