General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range rover P38 weird Oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range rover P38 weird Oil leak problem

Hello,

I would need an advice about an oil leak I have on my Range Rover P38 4.0 SE (year 1997).

2months ago, I had to changethe intake gaskets and the head gaskets because of coolant leak, in a independent Land rover repair shop. [/align][/align]Since then I have to add a quart of motor oil every 200 miles. (I didn't have any oil leak before)
[/align]The thing is, that I have no visible oil leak, nothing on the floor, and no black smoke.[/align]
Iwent to Land rover Cincinnati for them to check the oil leak butthey told me that they don't know why I'm losing so much oil, [/align]because they couldn't see any visible leak.
[/align]I've been told if there was a piston problem, I should have black smoke when driving my car, but I don't have that.[/align][/align]Is there something that the mechanic who changed the head gaskets could have done wrong ? I was thinking of the valve stem seals maybe. [/align]
Thanks a lot for your help.

Pat3d[/align]

Old 04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Range rover P38 weird Oil leak problem

rear main seal

Old 04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Overlanding

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Could you tell me where is it located, and if it is the rear main seal , there is no visible leak, is that right ?

Pat3d

Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rear main seal is the output shaft of the motor going to the tranny. Rear main seals should leave a puddle, as they're so low on the block, there's not much chance for the oil to dry up as it drips down the block.

I suppose it is possible that you have a mis-seated rear main seal...although that shouldnt have been effected by the head/IMG work...but the seal only gets distrubed while driving, which explains why you see no puddle..but I'm not sure.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Overlanding

Hi,

I'm gonna check that, and let you know

Thanks again.

Pat3d

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Overlanding

I have oil spots on my rear bumper and some on the lower tailgate too.

So it could be that maybe.[/align]

Old 04-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if you got oil that far back, then lookin wont tell you anything. the whole underbody of your car will be soaked. to check if its the rear main, you need to be under the car, on the front of the trans, youll see a little circular plate on the bellhousing. take it off and look up there with a light, watch out as you take it off if thats what it is as you might get a shower. but the rear main will show up as oil splattered all over the inside on the bellhousing, not just it wet, but like it was flung off from the middle.

[/align]

Old 04-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

It is nearly impossible to loss that much oil with out seeing a lot of oil under the truck, all the way back to the rear bumper.
Look at your repair bill and see if the shop replaced the intake manifold gasket, a $50 plus part, if not, that is your problem.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...oil on the bumper but no spot...that's impressive

Mike are you thinking the IMG was poorly done (if the shop did it) and that's the loss of oil? Are you thinking it's coming out the exhaust and getting on bumper/tailgate that way?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Overlanding

Hello,

On the repair bill, the intake manifold gasket has been replaced. I'm gonna check under the car too. Ifthat'sthe rear main seal, is it an expensive repair ?

Thanks,

Pat3d

Quick Reply: Range rover P38 weird Oil leak problem