General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover vs Discovery, in your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, its little BS. Often times whiny little jerks get on the review sites and post how terrible the car is, whereas many of us, including yourself, love and enjoy them. Has your sport ever done things that seem, awkward? There are several people in our neighborhood that love them and haven't had any real issues with them. They just raise their eyebrow when the car decides its going to be honoree because it woke up on the wrong side of the garage on top of the Mercedes. Mechanically you really shouldn't have problems. If you do, they will be bushings or stupid little stuff. In my opinion rovers are no different than ford explorers or chevy trail blazers in terms of reliability. The difference is, explorers having bearing and differential problems and blazers have transmission and engine problems. I think i'll stick with my electrical problems .

Old 11-28-2010, 04:08 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
Like I said, its little BS. Often times whiny little jerks get on the review sites and post how terrible the car is, whereas many of us, including yourself, love and enjoy them. Has your sport ever done things that seem, awkward? There are several people in our neighborhood that love them and haven't had any real issues with them. They just raise their eyebrow when the car decides its going to be honoree because it woke up on the wrong side of the garage on top of the Mercedes. Mechanically you really shouldn't have problems. If you do, they will be bushings or stupid little stuff. In my opinion rovers are no different than ford explorers or chevy trail blazers in terms of reliability. The difference is, explorers having bearing and differential problems and blazers have transmission and engine problems. I think i'll stick with my electrical problems .
If this is a reply to my post, mine is a full size Range Rover supercharged.

Nothink akward at all here on my end, I did get the extended warranty to 100k mile though.
hn

Jo

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jsuit

Am I just biding my time or are we talking about historic unreliabilty here?

John
After a bit of research I can take a stab at that- all vehicles are historically unreliable, it's part of the dying process. LR have their quirks, but maintenance early on will curb a lot of big issues down the road. Buying new has that advantage, but buying used with all the maintenance records is the next best thing. The major issues are well documented, the piddly stuff like snapping sun visor plastic is what drives most people nuts when it comes to Rovers.

I went ahead and purchased a 99 Disco II, thanks in part to advice from this thread. I drove half a dozen Rovers and settled on this one. The cruise control doesn't work, the sunroof leaks, the headliner needs attention, the three amigos join me every once in awhile, the power seats work but need new control modules- all classic Disco II "BS". The good news is it made it to all it's scheduled dealer maintenance up to 20k miles ago, engine and trany have been well taken care of, it drives well on and off road. I will be heading out this week for Alaska, some 4k miles, a trip I"ve done a few times but never in a Rover. I will post any issues I might run into.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Range Rover is more luxurious... Discovery is more for the off-roading! I choose Range Rover!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a land rover discovery I 3.9 standard....silicone the sunroofs, pack extra power steering fluid and mark your territory all over Canada ey? you said in the woods... range rover on street FTW!! Discovery owns the woods... stock alone it can do better off roading than all the competition.. manual seats have great back support too... i'll sell you mine... sunrroofs all ready siliconed and it's lifted, with u-joints on drive shaft instead of that rubber garbage....lol

Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Drifting

I agree that the Discovery is more of a 'country' rig, whereas the Range Rover is more 'city'. Sure, they are both very capable off road, but my big question is- when will the reliability of Land Rovers catch up to the rest of the world? I plan to buy an '07 MkIII HSE to replace my '04 D2, but am afraid I'll end up with a maintenance nightmare.

Thoughts?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 2 discovery I's both standards... the only problem i had in my 96 4.0 was the fuel pump started to go and i held off on buying so sometimes i would be stuck for 10 minutes or more until it decided to work... then i bought a new one and all was good again! i got rid of it at 212k because i crashed it beating up 2 left side rims and the front panel. kid started it and putted it on his trailer. new one is 95 3.9, standard as well... thing has been a beast and knock on wood no problems at 147k... it could really use attention at power-steering and breaks... have i done it no, is it owner maintenance? yes so if it breaks its my fault(i'll do it during christmas break) so as a discovery I owner i can say that as far as road and off road drivability reliability both have been amazing and i would drive cross country in them. now sunroofs... driver door handles... solder points on the board for the rear windows...that little corky stuff is just what you deal with... can't speak for range rover's yet(just bought one) but i would recommend a discovery I to anyone(Manual of course!!! go manual or go home i say)...

just bought ranger rover and it is so comfortable... really excited!! to compare them overall i don't think you can... one is an apple and the other an orange... but I honestly think no matter which one you own you'll be happy...

i think the saying goes I'd rather be pushing my rover than caught driving a jeep!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul KPaul K
I plan to buy an '07 MkIII HSE to replace my '04 D2, but am afraid I'll end up with a maintenance nightmare.

Thoughts?
I have had the Disco 2 for a whole two months now, but have logged 6k miles and have gone through quite a bit under the hood. Rovers are known for being one of the most reliable rigs and yet one of the most unreliable at the same time. Trying to make sense of that was tough at first, but I do think that I have figured part of it out.

First, Rovers are primarily an off-road rig, not a glorified minivan with a lift and awd like most SUVs designed to go easy on the ego of most family guys. The electric nonsense I believe is a tip of the hat in that direction, and there-in lies most if your problems, from the abs/ traction control to the sunroofs and elec seats, none of which are necessary off road and tend to be problematic over time. These issues can be expensive to repair if you head to the dealer, but if you are spending that much for a rig to begin with, what can you expect.

Second, when properly maintained these vehicles tend to hold up better than most, with no evidence that LR is consistently producing lemons. I would check sites like edmunds.com for specific year reviews and known issues- that should help you make a more educated decision.

On a side note, the Rover I bought is about 10 for 10 of known issues, and I am tackling them one at a time. I just drove it from AZ to AK, hit -20 degrees weather, some deep snow, ice, whiteout, frost heaves that could swallow a bus, and it handled the roads well. The stuff that goes wrong doesn't seem to hamper it's ability to get you from point a to point b, even if the two are 4k miles apart.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Mudding

Narrowrd - glad to hear you are "enjoying" all of the quirks of Roverdom, pretty cool you drove your Disco from AZ to AK - that sounds like a great journey. Sounds like you "got it".....

Old 12-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You Regretfully, Need a Land Cruiser. DO NOT BUY A FORMER SOCCER MOM TRUCK.

If your truley set on land rover, get a 06-09 LR3, any Lr4, or a D2 S model.

Quick Reply: Range Rover vs Discovery, in your opinion