General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range Rover vs Discovery, in your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snowdude
You Regretfully, Need a Land Cruiser. DO NOT BUY A FORMER SOCCER MOM TRUCK.

If your truley set on land rover, get a 06-09 LR3, any Lr4, or a D2 S model.
That is just crazy.

Jsuit
2006 Range Rover Supercharged. I test drove a Landcruiser but wanted more power......

Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how did you get such a huge pic in your post?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They didn't have to meet the size requirements because the image was not uploaded. The actual image is from this url: http://www.apnimarzi.com/wp-content/...f-road-4wd.jpg

Old 12-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Mudding

The only Land Cruisers i see in action around here...you guessed it...are driven by soccer moms. Great trucks don't get me wrong but I don't see the relevance to this discussion.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:47 PM
gcb
Overlanding
Question

Originally Posted by ceven18
Good question Rock,but for some of the best answers on this forumread these two post for some insight: "Rookie with several questions" - 1/21/2008 and "Disco vs RR?" - 1/31/2008
i failed miserably to find those. anyone have a link?

i'm looking for a Disco, and several 4.8 RR appeared out of nowhere CHEAPER.

My intent with the Disco was to use for weekend errands and the ocasional light offroad short trip (with lots of asphault to ge there)

so, my main doubt to jump in the RR is: is 4.8 insanely more fun or just more thirst? or not even noticeably thirstier? i'm eyeing one 99 for now, that the owner says had the head gasket done last year. still have to check it out.

my second doubt is, what about inside space? the Disco feel to have more... but i haven't checked both with dropped seats yet. ... i will probably just ride two people when i have large cargo. What do you guys think the comparison is?

And Lastly, if I have to fix something in the RR, will it be around the same price of a Disco? let's say, new seats. or a new radiator. how much more are we talking about in parts?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Well, I presently have an 03 disco in addition to my RR and have been able to compare them side by side. Quite frankly, the RR is nicer... The disco I have might replace my RR because I got it so cheap and it runs amazing, but we'll see. From an interior stand point, the Disco has TONS more cargo space than the RR, but the passengers sacrifice for it. It is harder to get in and out of the Disco and you don't have has much shoulder room. The visibility from the driver's seat isn't as nice either. I also noticed the stopping power is kinda weak in the Disco, but it could be that something is wrong with the system in mine, idk.

However, the Discovery II just "works" the RRs have lots of little things that break or act quirky. It will get you there and back just fine, but some people consider A/C blend motors a reliability problem and then go buy a Honda. I really do like both though, where one leaves off the other makes up for it in some way. It really depends on taste. I will say the A/C in the summer on the Discos is wonderful. Mine has the rear a/c option, and it will feel like a walk in freezer in a matter of minutes. As far as parts, I really do not see a huge difference in parts prices.

In either case, I hope you find a good rig. Don't be in a hurry and don't fall in love with the first on you see. There are lots of abused rovers out there, took me awhile to find mine. A well looked after old rover will go farther than an abused young one. My RR has never let me down and still runs and drives great.

Last edited by LRScott; 10-06-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:49 PM
gcb
Overlanding

Thanks, really needed to comparison of cargo space from someone who actually owns both to dismiss that it was 'just me'.

what about the freelanders?

i know it's not on par with the others with off-road, but what about maintenance and cargo?

craigslist is showing a bunch of 2003 for cheap around here. ...my initial goal was a 2003 disco... but they show up here for 9k! 2003 freelanders and RR show up for half of that!

Last edited by gcb; 10-08-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
gcb
Overlanding

i've heard that head gasked failure on Freelanders are pretty 'common' even on well maintaned under 60k ones... is this true?

lots of horror stories here FreeLander Head Gasket

Old 10-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Pro Wrench

I've heard horror stories about them too, but 03 discos, and P38 RRs have the issues with head gaskets too. I know several people that have freelanders and have never had issues with them. However, one of my friend's daughters had one (they think it was a freelander, not sure) and it was horrible. Not a particular fan of the freelander myself, they do ok offroad, but are not as safe as the Disco or RR either.

Last edited by LRScott; 10-10-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM
gcb
Overlanding

I checked out a 03 freelander this weekend.

in CA but with jersey plates. all rusted underneath... no idea how bad is that now that it's in Cali.

was drinking coolant like crazy, but no mayonnaise visible on the oil cap... but lots of smoke when cap was opened. there was only a small blob of black tar on the back of the oil cap. couldn't tell what it was. maybe burnt stuff from an older overheat?

driving it on the smooth pavement felt like i was riding on a unpaved road... a grinding feeling from the wheels... don't know why was that... maybe it's normal for freelanders. i walked away.