General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RangeRover is sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RangeRover is sputtering

Hey guys,

I own a 2001 RangeRover HSE 4.6. In the past 3 months it has started sputtering really bad when I try to either accelerate or If I am even cruising at a constant speed. Plus my gas handle only works when it wants to and the radio has pretty much crapped out, But I've already read somewhere that the radio going out in these things is quite common, so that is something I will just deal with. I am hoping I can fix this sputtering on my own as I really don't have the cash right now to take it to the mechanic(I'm sure everyone feels the same pain as I with this economy). I thought it might be just the fuel filter needs replacing, but I wanted to check on here first to get some other suggestions and such.

Also one other thing, How hard is it to change the front brakes on a Range Rover. I've done it on all my previous cars but I haven't tried it yet with the RR. Are there any special tools I need or is it pretty standard?

Thanks so much for any and all help.

-Brandon

edit: I don't know why all those apostrophes keep getting put in

Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RangeRover is sputtering

It sounds like a throttle position sensor problem. What do you mean by sputtering? Is the vehicle backfiring or is it being starved for fuel or does it seem like the vehicle has no clue as to what throttle setting you have it on? Another thing are you getting any warning lights that come on?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Well it acts like its not getting any gas. I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain this. When i press the gas, the car feels like its having a problem wanting to go. It just sputters along. I know that probably sounds retarded. I just can't think of any other way to explain it. There's no backfiring.

Yeah I have the service engine soon light on. I was going to take it up to Advanced Auto today to have them run a scan on it to see what codes come up, but it was pouring down raining here and I don't think those guys wanted to go outside. So I'm going to go back tomorrow

Old 11-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post the faults when you find them out. As far as the brakes go, they are straight-forward and no special tools are required.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My guess would be the O2 sensors because the engine is either running to lean or rich... but the codes will really tell us what is going wrong with it.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My lady's 04 disco wasdoing the same turned out to be the plug wire so we replaced wires and plugs. Runs great now.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the cyl. 4 and cyl. 6 plug wires fail on these engines quite often, susceptible to heat, get hardened and then crack, resulting in misfires, setting codes for misfires. The codes guide you in the right direction, which is why the fault codes need to be pulled. Instead of throwing parts at it and hoping for the best, wouldn't it be nice to get it right the first time and save some cash?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Rock Crawling

I agree we had codes read first............

Old 11-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Hey guys, I really apologize for the late reply. Deadlines kept me at the office longer than I intended most days. Here are the codes

PO300
PO302
PO305
P1319

Thanks so much for all of you guy's help

-B

Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling

-B, I searched the site and found this,
P0300 random misfire
P0302 #2 misfire
P0305 #5 misfire
P1319 misfire
DiscoMike moderator on discovery forum would know better but it still sounds like pulgs and wires to me
-V

Quick Reply: RangeRover is sputtering