General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing heater core O-Rings

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing heater core O-Rings

I have just noticed that under my carpet I have lots of coolant. Mech told me that by the look of it he thought it was the heater core. After looking at the rangerovers.net website I looked into the possibilty of it being the O-Rings and I am sure that is what it is... I have theO-rings onorder from the nearest LR dealer... 150 miles away... I am having trouble removing the phillips screw needed to replace the O-rings for the heater core. I am following the how to http://rangerovers.net/repairdetails...tml#evenfasterand I seem to have stripped out the screw... AHHHHHHHHH! Does anyone know if there is a possibility to unscrew from the back (even though I will ruin the screw) but to just get it out? My wife is on her way to Sears to pick up a set of "Screw out" and see if this will get it out for me from the front. I am trying to keep from removing the entire dash to fix this problem..

Please anybody... HELP!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Replacing heater core O-Rings

I MIGHT HAVE A WAY FOR YOU TO GET THOSE SCREWS OUT WITHOUT HAVING TO DRILL. I USE THIS WHEN I HAVE A STRIPPED OUT APEX ON SCREWS ON THE AIRCRAFT I WORK ON. WHATT I DO IS CUT A SLOT ACROSS THE SCREW THAT A LARGE STRAIGT BLADE SCREW DRIVER WILL FIT IN. BASICALLY CHANGING THE PHILIPS HEAD TO A STRAIGHT BLADE HEAD. IT SHOULD WORK IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO CUT IT. HOPE IT HELPS

Old 09-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if you stripped it out youre going to have to pull the dash. even if you get it out, youre faced with the putting a new one back in, which is a pain

Old 09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the tip... The screw WAS in way too far to be able to make a slot for a flathead... This morning I tried the screw out from sears and basically removed the entire head of the screw... Then I removed the pipes and finished removing the screw from the back side... Now I have another problem... When I started this mission I noticed a drip of coolant coming from the bottom line of coolant to the heater core assembly so I thought okay the o-rings might be bad... When I pulled the coolant hoses out the O-rings were okay... no cracks or tears? Any suggestions on what to do??

Old 09-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench

usually they get hard and this will cause them to leak as the fluid gets hot and expansion occurs, were they still soft?

Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Three Wheeling

yeah they weresomewhate hard... I should be getting the new ones on Monday and will compare them. By the way Isaw the leak coming from the bottom of the tube I thought surely it was the O-Rings... HOPEFULLY that is the problem. I pulled back the carpet on the passenger side and there was lots of coolant. I lifted out the wiring along the passenger side and I had a puddle of fluid, and got that mess cleaned up. I posted an issue with my interior lights flickering and I wonder if this excess fluid would be the cause of the problem? Still havent't been able to replace the alternator? These Rovers can get spendy with maintenance issues... But dam they do look nice

Old 09-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Three Wheeling

After replacing the O-rings I noticed I have a crack on the housing just to the left of where the screw is at. Since the broken part is just the black plastic part, is it possible to just replace the plastic part or does the entire heater core need replacing?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Wrench

sorry man, its part of the core

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Three Wheeling

I have the entire dash apart and I am waiting for the heater core to come in and the blend motors... I removed the blend motor to the right and opened it up and found that all the teeth are intact? Since I was only getting hot air on the passenger side would it be possible that there could be another problem? I had purchased a HVAC head unit on Ebay and tried it and no AC air would come out of the passenger side, so after reading the website on troubleshooting the system I thought okay blend motors.. Is there a way to test the old motors?

Also, I manually adjusted the gear mechanism that the blend motor and distribution servo control and the both move freely and I could see the different set up of the flaps, so could it be that the motor on the blend motor just gave out? I did have that nasty exclamation mark on the head unit.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Three Wheeling

Has anyone had trouble with the actual motor part of the blen motor unit? I opened the one on the side where I only get hot air and all of the teeth are intact?

Quick Reply: Replacing heater core O-Rings