General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RRC LWB VS. P38, I can't decide which one to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RRC LWB VS. P38, I can't decide which one to buy.

Hey guys,

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which vehicle is better, a '90's (preferably 1995) RRC LWB, or a early 2000's P38. I would be using one of the vehicles in question mostly as a commuter to work and back which is around 46 miles combined with most of the driving being on highways and interstates at speeds arounds 45-70 MPH. Now I know that the P38 would be the superior vehicle in this mode, but the drawback is that I participate in local BSA camp outs where cargo space matters and from what I've read, the P38 has five less cubic feet of cargo space compared to the RRC, and the RRC's cargo area is already a little small. But as I just said, the P38 is probably better built, it's probably better to drive as a commuter, and when properly maintained, will probably be more reliable, but I still think the RRC looks better than the P38, and it might be more rugged for both nature and people.

So as you can see, I'm in a tough spot trying to make a hard decision. I will be posting this across different groups as well as forums so that this post will get more publicity as well as different opinions.

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven’t actually owned a classic RR, but I’ve been around them enough to hopefully make a good comparison.
I’ve owned my P38 for almost 4 years now and love it, it just keeps on going. It’s a little squirmy on the road because the steering box, bushings and tie rods are a bit worn, but its stable for the age and mileage. Engine runs turbine smooth, gets angry at me when I goose it though, but so does the Disco.

I’ll start with my experience with the classic RRs. My former boss (small company) had a 93 RR LWB that we used as a work suv/truck. It was used for hauling things, and for making runs to the hardware store and to pick up steel. It was in very rough shape, and despite the abuse, this little rig just kept on going strong, and was very good to us. Never left me stranded, comfortable, stable, and was always a treat to drive. It was one of the reasons I started getting interested in rovers. The LWB is very nice for the rear passengers, and there is a lot of space inside to haul stuff, especially when the seats are down. The spare tire does get in the way a tad though. The two rigs handle about the same (same meaning like buses lol), You sit further back in the P38 and feel a little less involved in the driving process than the classic. However, the P38 is able to negotiate corners better.

The interior on both is very comfortable, and I prefer the classic’s in some ways and the P38’s in others. The overall feel of the classic is “cozy”, the P38 feels spacious in comparison. The HSE P38s have seats that are plusher, but the SE P38 has seats that to me feel similar if not the same to the classic (excluding the back seats). The classic does not have head rests for the rear passengers, which could be a safety concern for whip lash. The steering wheel is not telescopic in the classic, but is in the P38, and is very nice when trying to get comfortable on long trips. From a fuel economy stand point, I get on average 16 to 17mpg in my RR, and have gotten up to 21mpg on longer trips. The classic, did not do as well from what I remember. It got around 14 to 15 mpg. The range on the classic was not very good either, it liked to visit gas stations. My P38, gets about 380 miles to a tank, but costs $90 to fill up… ouch. The classic is naturally cheaper to fill up because of the smaller tank.

I really like both the classic and the P38, the classic will always have a special place in my heart. When my P38 finally decides to die, I may actually choose a 95 classic, just cause I may want a change, and then later go back to the P38 again (the 03+ models scare me). They are both excellent cars, and I too would/did have a hard time choosing between the two before I got my P38. I ended up with my RR because it was a really good car, and the price was also very good. I could not resist .

If you want a P38, I would try to get a 99 GEMS with a 4.0L engine. The GEMS engine management system, is easier to work on than the Bosch one. The 4.0 engine is a very good engine, a little under powered, but a good motor. I’m not so sure about the 4.6, it seems to be far more sensitive to heat, oil, the way you drive, etc. If you want a classic, the 95’s interior is the most modern, and it might possibly be OBD II compliant (not 100%). I do like the older retro interior too though, so I guess it would just depend.

Hopefully this helped, it was a tad verbose, but in either case, good luck on your purchase!

Last edited by LRScott; 09-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you what I like about my 2000 P38 HSE. The air adjustable suspension gives the P38 a great ride on the highway and plenty of clearance to navigate all but extreme off road conditions. On the road my P38 handles better than the Japanese and American SUVs I’ve owned or driven; I think the steering and suspension is crisp and firm. It is quiet on the highway. The brakes on this car are impressive; I was amazed how fast I made a 50 mph to zero panic dry highway stop, going slightly downhill. The ABS works as intended. The 4.6 liter engine in the HSE model has plenty of horsepower for a comfortable 75 mph highway cruise with a plenty gas pedal left over. On all-weather tires my truck has easily navigated soft ocean sand, fire roads and moderate mountainous off road trails. I haven’t gotten stuck so some will say I haven’t really driven the truck yet.

From my Scouts and family camping experience, there is plenty of room for typical backpacking gear for four scouts and yourself. Along with the packs there should be space left for a large cooler, camping stove, lantern, cooking fuel, 15 gallons or so of water and a couple of folding chairs for sedentary camping. Consider a roof rack to carry canoes or bikes or more stuff.

I never owned a Classic Ranger so I’m no help with a firsthand comparison but there are plenty of people on this forum who can. There is a Classic in my area seriously rigged for off road driving and yeah, it looks sweet.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

As the owner of a RRC I would suggest if you are looking at a RRC look for one that was original coils springs, not one that has been converted. The original coil spring RRC has a spring loaded self-leveler that the converted RRC do not, on the later models they used the air ride to self-level.
It will ride good on and off road, plenty of wheel travel for anything you will be using it for in BSA.
Also most mechanical parts interchange with a D1. and honestly the 3.9 in the RRC runs just as good as the 4.0 in my discovery, if you shop around you can also find them with the 4.2 engine.