General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling and More!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah they are not cheap but if thye have not been done then they need to be done. You could try the generic ones and then swap the connector but the success rate on those has been hit or miss. I just buy the right ones then I do not need to worry.

Let us know how it goes when you get them on.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason the o2 sensors malfunction when the vehicle warms up, is because they are not included in the engine management system until they warm up. So from a cold start, everything will be fine.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by LRScott
The reason the o2 sensors malfunction when the vehicle warms up, is because they are not included in the engine management system until they warm up. So from a cold start, everything will be fine.
Yes you are right, mine was more extreme though. I could drive the truck for 30 minutes and then it would happen. I would think that the computer would read it before then once the vehicle was warm. After I bought the Disco I ran for about 6 months not realizing that the O2 sensors were not even hooked up. I hooked them up and it ran just fine for a year then the problem started. It took me a while to figure it out since on every other car when an O2 went I got a check engine light so it was easier to diagnose.

I sure hope replacing those will help his problem, I just cannot think of what else would cause that.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O2 senors will cause a vehicle to run poorly but shouldn't by themselves cause a vehicle to stall. The engine will run without any O2 sensors it will just have poor performance and run rich. When the computer senses a problem with the O2 sensors it will bypass them and run an alternate air/fuel management plan. I'm not saying that your O2 sensors aren't one part of the problem but there is likely another issue contributing to the stalling. My wifes old car had the check engine light on for 4 years due to bad O2 sensors. It was an old car with over 200k miles on it and I couldn't justify spending $200 on O2 sensors for a $500 car. It ran fine and the MPGs weren't all that bad so I didn't mess with it.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yes it will run without them and maybe he could just un hook them and see what happens. I will say that they can cause the engine to stall, if it sends information to the engine telling it to run more fuel and starve air then it will die, it may not react fast enough to run an alternate air/fuel mixture. I still feel it is an area for the OP to fix.

Chances are though that you will kill your catalytic converters if you run with out O2 sensors for the length of time you did.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:08 PM
7th Gear

UPDATE!! I took the car to a local mechanic to run a diagnostic on the sensors and help me trouble shoot the stalling problem. I wanted to share the findings with everyone and get some opinions.

All sensors came back as working fine
fuel preasure is good
Vacum is good

According to the trusty Mechanic he came to the conclusion that the problem is the "transmission interlock solenoid" not releasing when coming to a stop. He explained that when he brings the car to a stop by going down the gears ans using the hand break car "Doesn't Stall" and when the foot brake is applied it trgiggers the solenoid to malfunction.

Have any fellow land rovers experience this problem before. and if so how complicated is it to get to the Transmission Interlock Solenoid, thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... Figures, good old classic rovers. I have never heard of this problem before, but with a classic rover, anything is possible .

Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have never heard of that one before, I am sorry that I was steering you in the wrong direction with the O2 sensors.

I have no clue how to fix that one by the way.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:00 AM
7th Gear

I have been driving the Rover since yesterday to see if I could replicate the breaking technique the mechanic was talking about. And Surprisingly the rovers seems perfectly fine no stalling no rpms spudering. I am glad it seems to be working great But now I am completely confused on where the problem went.

One I dea that I wanted to run by everyone: On some cars when there is a faulty sensor that has been replaced, the computer takes some time to gather new accurate data. The way it achives it according to a machanic is by running the car for a period of time and leting the ECU gather corrected info.
DO Rovers work in the same fashion? I am thinking while checking connectors and sensors that the fault was corrected and it just took some time to run the rover to correct it self. Just a thought. Bottom Line Its running like a CHAMP.. Thanks everyone for the help, forum like this help greatly when you are new.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 PM
3rd Gear
Default CJ! Help!

I have the same problem, CJ! Did the O2 sensor work???

Quick Reply: Stalling and More!!