General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinkin of buying my first range rover but its got issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry thinkin of buying my first range rover but its got issues

im lookin at buying a 01 p38 hse with 68000 miles that has electrical issues, it been sittin 3 years because it was sold to a wholesaler (my friend) and it had eas problems. it ran and drove when he got it but then he started swappin relays to try to get the air suspension to work and now it only cranks, i dont get any spark, and i pulled a plug and its dry and i dont hear the fuel pump runnin. on the dash message center it says eas fault, gearbox fault, transfer fault/neutral, and windows not set. i could not get any of the windows to operate and the key fob buttons are broke, i get the red light to go on but the doors neither unlock or lock. Im thinkin it might be the becm. what do you guys think?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a becm failure... possibly. By default the rover will say window not set until you set them (its very stupid, idk why rover did that) You need to cycle each window until the message goes away and it will come back if the vehicle loses power and resets. The most likely cause of the windows not rolling up is the button cluster on the center console has failed. Usually due to water damage from the sun roof leaking, which is another thing to check.

Gearbox fault will usually appear when the battery is dead or close to it. The transfer case might actually be in neutral too. Make sure the rover is getting sufficient power and cycle from high to low range and see if you can get those messages to go away first. It might be wise to steer clear of that rover unless you are getting one heck of a deal on it. The air suspension on these vehicles is very finicky and takes a lot of time to trouble shoot (I hope your friend swapped the correct relays....). Check the airbags under each tire well. Look for cracks and at the overall condition of them. Jump the relay with a paper clip (using gloves) to see if you can engage the compressor.

The probability of it being the becm is not incredibly high because it is newer, but I also do not know the history of that vehicle. Mine still has the original and shows no signs of needing one in the future. It is very possible the fuse box is bad as well, check it for corrosion. When I say check it, open it up, you can't tell by taking the cover off. No offense, but I think your friend buggered it up by messing with the electrics.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your friend messed it up as well. Just swapping relays is not the right way to troubleshoot these vehicles.

With that said it is not entirely impossible to get it back to shape especially if the price is right. When I say price I mean no more than $2K, there could be another $2K in trying to find all the issues. In todays market cash is king and a vehicle sitting around for a couple of years is not worth much.

If you do get it plan on some frustrating nights working on it and have some more cash on hand to find the needed parts. We will help out with info as much as possible as you go through it.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 AM
7th Gear

im going to look at it again today, the windows say not set but they also do not roll up or down. when he first got it it ran great but was sittin on the bumpstops. he thought a relay was bad so thats why he started swappin them, hasnt ran since. im going to check the fuse box today, im thinkin maybe a main fuse? i cant figure out how he would lose spark, fuel, and the windows. im going to take apart the fuse panel today. Anothet thought is that since i dont have a workin remote on the keys is it in anti-theft mode?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

The windows should be the least of your concern if you cannot turn the truck over. The windows not set message just means the one touch memory is not set so it really means nothing. The light will light up on the remote even if the battery is so dead it does not unlock the doors, plus the doors will not unlock with the remote unless you cycle the key in the drivers door and let the remote sync to the locking system.

The swapping of the relays could be the reason it does not turn over, I do not know. Fuses are easy to check so dont waste your time taking it all apart just to put it back together again.

The truck could be on the bumpstops for a couple of reasons, if the battery dies and it sat for a couple of years the bags could just have dried up a little and leaked. The other could be that it is in EAS hard fault mode and needs to be reset. Go to rswsolutions.com you will find out how to reset it there for very little money and a little work with a soldering iron. Teh suspension will not do anything though unless the engine is running so you need to get it running first before you mess with the windows or suspension.

Good Luck!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling

I agree that the swapping of the relays is probably the first place to look. Just because a relay fits in the location of a different one doesn't mean that it will work there. Unless it is such a good deal (as in almost free) that you can't pass it up, I would pass on it. Unless you are an electrical engineer or someone with good electrical troubleshooting skills and an tremendous amount of patience this is going to be a monster to make right. Unmolested Rovers have enough electrical quicks as they are. I can't imagine one in the condition you are describing. It could be a simple as one relay in the wrong spot or as expensive as $3,000+ at the stealership.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:51 PM
7th Gear

i looked at it some more today, it seemed that the relays are in the right spots, yellows in the yellows, green in the green, i tool the fuse panel apart alittle today, i didnt cut it apart and unfold it just looked at the outside with it out of the case and i saw no corrosion, also no corrosion on 3 bcm wires on the bottom of the fuse case. i did have low (11.5) volts out of the battery but it still turned over fine, im going to try to recharge the battery and try it one more time and then i think im going to not purchase it.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, looking at it realistically. You can get a BECM off ebay for about $600 (if your lucky, and it still needs to be programmed). The airbags are probably....$150 a piece (correct me if I'm wrong) and that still might not solve the EAS issue. Fuse box will probably go for $300 brand new. All of that will probably be the answer to most, if not all of you issues. Do you have an OBD scanner? I would be curious to see if it is throwing any codes, probably a shet load! Another thing you may want to try, is just disconnecting the battery for a little while and then reconnecting it, who knows that might just do it .

Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
7th Gear

i do have a scanner but it isnt communicating with the ecu. i have a nice otc scanner, maybe i will try a cheap one and see what it does, or maybe my old snap on. ill let you know

Old 09-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So it does crank over then? I would go straight to fuel pressure and pull aplg and see if there is spark. If there is fuel and no spark it may be a bad CPS. It is a lot cheaper than a BECM or a fuse panel. I bet you can get one from a junk yard for abour $30.

Hey still but it for pennies on the dollar and part it out and make some coin.

Quick Reply: thinkin of buying my first range rover but its got issues