General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying an 03 RR

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying an 03 RR

I Saw a 2003 Rang Rover HSE loaded Black on Black at a dealership. 70k miles. A little rough around the edges but a good price. ($14k).

At 70k miles what common problems do these trucks develop. What should i look for when doing a detailed inspection. How many miles could i expect this truck to go for?

Any other advice.... Thanks!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jmoney6
I Saw a 2003 Rang Rover HSE loaded Black on Black at a dealership. 70k miles. A little rough around the edges but a good price. ($14k).

At 70k miles what common problems do these trucks develop. What should i look for when doing a detailed inspection. How many miles could i expect this truck to go for?

Any other advice.... Thanks!

Hi there, I purchased an 05 range rover HSE about a year ago now. I can give you some general notes that maybe helpful and some other people am sure have other items to provide.

- if possible try to have inspected by a land rover tech, but most of all test drive this for an hour or longer and try to take uphill and downhill to see how the transmisssion shifts. the shifting should be clean and not struggle, this should be a big consideration, at least in my opinion.

Issues you may have to deal may include the following :

- check the air suspension, this can be very costly considering its an 03
- see if the transmission has been serviced or flushed, if not have it flushed ( only by certified land rover techs) requires the mobil one factory approved ATF or the valvoline maxlife ATF is a less expensive equivalent along with a transmission service kit.
- check the transmission oil cooler is functioning properly. the tranny runs hot and this can be an issue.
- see if there are any coolant leaks, radiator and upper+lower radiator hoses may need replacing
- check the thermostat
- ensure the brakes & discs are new,
- engine is the BMW 4.4, which i have found is pretty decent so far, so keep on top of regular oil changes

apart from these items, if they appear to be okay than maybe worth it. My suggestion is the newer the better and lower kms of course.

These vehicles although cumbersome with maintenance, if you are a good trouble shooter and can research and source out parts and services cost effectively, you will be driving a vehicle that most will admire and appreciate, and you will feel like a million bucks! for 14K and counting!!!

all the best with the purchase!!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 PM
3rd Gear

also make sure to get a heavy duty battery-new along with new connections. hopefully the dealer has 2 key fobs as well.