General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 94 County LWB. Advise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 94 County LWB. Advise?

Hi all!

After having had 2 DII's I am considering buying a RR County LWB. Can you give me any advice on what to look for? Are the issues similar as with the DII's? Any specific quirks I should look out for?

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Three things to look for.
Rust
Rust
Rust

Everything else is just details.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, guess I am in luck then as I am looking at a California car...

The car I am going to take a look at is a 1993, 4.2L RR County LWB.

The owner told me the following things were done over the last 30K miles:

- valve job
- valve gaskets
- head gasket
- replace belts
- new radiator
- coils to spring conversion
- new fuel pump

Also, he mentioned that the ABS light comes on when hitting the brakes. Is that a familiar issue?

Thanks!
Lambert

Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

everything major was done. if you can get for $3k and there is no rust. you're good as gold.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Drifting
Default ABS Light and rust issues

Hi, congrats on your decision to buy a Classic, I've had many in the past 5 years, an 89, 91, Two 96'HSE's, and three 93 LWB, as you expect I love them. The ABS light flashing on for an instant when braking is most likely due to the accumulator getting weak and losing it's charge. You could try dissassembling the pump, cleaning the screen, flushing and bleeding the system and replacing the accumulator. This shouls solve your problem and prevent the pump from failing which will come next since it's running more frequently to constantly recharge the system. Theres a guy out in Arizona who is an expert on the Rover ABS system and has a nice procedure download on his website. I dont have it here with me now but I can follow up later with a link to his site. To prevent the common rust areas if you are bringing your virgin cali rover east, I would treat the know weak spots with por 15, under the tailgate, inner wheel wells, under the bonnet front lip, rockers and upper liftgate. once treated and kept clean, it should last a long long time. Let me know if you need any tech help or parts, and enjoy your new ride, it's a nice step up from a Disco.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling

one thing you need to look for is indeed the RUST.

one of the worst spots is the rear of the car, up and around the gas tank. make sure you poke around and grab hold of things. If rust breaks off in your hand chances are there more hidden elsewhere. I've got a 93 rover LWB and the rear end is rusted out, its got over 200k on it and I live in the North east. I've also got a 95 Rover classic LWB and there's virtually no rust on it, California car it has 135k miles on it, there's a complete difference. poke around and lift up carpets, you never know whats around the next corner until you start working on it.