General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

03 RR no workie

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 RR no workie

Hello,
this is my first post (other than the newby post), and I need help. I have an '03 RR that dies on me last night, luckily very close to home, so my wife was able to get my '92 Explorer to pull the '03 RR home.
We stopped at the corner store, & just started left the store parking lot when the whole electrical system (inner/outer lights & everything) started flashing, erratically. We got about 300 yards into our neighborhood when it shut down for a few minutes resetting everything (radio presets, trip odometer, clocks, gas mileage info,computer stuff...) It started okay, but gives me "AIR SUSPENSION INACTIVE" AND "TRANSAXIAL IN NEUTRAL", messages and occasionally tells me to apply the parking brake. The "3-amigo's" are on. It also has the hill-climbing icon flashing. It lets me physically move the shifter, but refuses to engage and move. When I take it from Drive to Park, the transfer case seems to make a series of clicking noises like it's trying to engage, but does nothing.
Looking under the hood, I notice that when the dealer installed the new batttery before I bought it, they didn't tighten up the neg terminal. But it had worked for about 300 miles (since I bought the truck last week).
I disconnected the battery to let it sit over night. I reconnected this A.M., but it still acts the same.

Any ideas?
Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 03 RR no workie

The 03 RR has about 30 different computers that all need to communicate with each other, but untill they recognise each other they wont work together, when you lost the battery , they lost there memmory, the dealer needs to reconfigure the vehicles ECU's

Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Overlanding

Thanks dirty duk.
So if I understand correctly, anytime the battery is replaced or disconnected, the dealership has to reconfigure some or all of the ECUs? Also if/when any fuse blows for a system or ECU?
Otherwise the vehicle is immobile until reconfigured?
The truck was running when the lights went haywire, so I figure there was power from the alternator running through the system. I sure hope the alternator/regulator didn't take a hit from the incident.

The same thing happened on my Harley where a loose battery connection made the thing act up until I tightened the connection.A weird coincidence. But the Harley wasn't THAT tempermental about it.
I was afraid that the transfer case ECU was screwed-up and out of whack.
Is there no way the owner can reconfigure if say, the battery gets replaced?
Thanks much for your help.

Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Overlanding

DiscoMike & DirtyDuk-
Thanks for the help. It's taken care of. After I looked through the online shop manual & read up on the transfer case a little bit, I read that the x-fer case is put into a tow mode by inserting a 5 amp fuse into slot 37 of the fuse box (the one in the glove compartment). After I tightened-up the neg battery terminal that was left loose by whoever installed the battery, I still had the "3-amigos" that I've read of on this forum (thanks again to you guys for the Rover edumacation). But after considering that what I was seeing could aat least partially be linked to transfer case problems as described in the "shop manual" I downloaded, I checked slot 37. Low & behold, there was a 5-amp fuse in slot 37. I removed the fuse & started the Rover. It still had the same indications until after breakfast/lunch when I started it again. Then the flashing hill climbing looking icon was gone, but the ABS & DSC lights were still on & it would engage in gear. I shut it off & started it again (with the same indicators) but hit the breaks a few times, put it in gear & rode around the block. As soon as I started down the road, the indicators went away, & it is driving fine now.
SO... I think it was a 2-fold problem
1) The dealership repair tech failed to tighten the battery cables, and
2) The dealership (or someone) failed to remove the slot 37 fuse after towing it to the dealership for the battery replacement.
So we're off!!! Hopefully to a long and uneventfulfuture of roving the range, with no real vehicle problems to follow.
I look forward to a long & educational corresponence on this forum, and thanks for all the help. I just hope I can repay the favor & hospitalitymany times over.