General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'10 LR4 - Battery Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 05:27 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '10 LR4 - Battery Bad?

I have a 2010 LR4 with 90K miles. Two years ago I replaced the battery with an Advance Auto Platinum. Everything worked fine until now. At the last service about 4 months ago the dealer told me my battery was going bad and asked if I wanted it replaced. I said no because 1) I still had a year of full replacement warranty from Advance and 2) LR batteries are too expensive for the same battery as you can get anywhere.

So FF to early May. We bought our daughter a car for her 16th birthday and to give her as much experience driving with us as we could, the LR4 sat quite a bit. One day my wife went out to drive it and it wouldn't start. So I put a charger on it and after a few hours it started right up. Similar thing happened a couple of weeks later. So this time I took it to Advance and had them test the battery. They said it was fine. Yesterday it wouldn't start again.

So here is what I know:

1) Dealer says it is going bad.
2) Advance says it is fine.
3) Car won't start.
4) Doors open with keyless entry and radio plays.
5) Battery meters at 12.3V.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 219 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Herdfan
I have a 2010 LR4 with 90K miles. Two years ago I replaced the battery with an Advance Auto Platinum. Everything worked fine until now. At the last service about 4 months ago the dealer told me my battery was going bad and asked if I wanted it replaced. I said no because 1) I still had a year of full replacement warranty from Advance and 2) LR batteries are too expensive for the same battery as you can get anywhere.

So FF to early May. We bought our daughter a car for her 16th birthday and to give her as much experience driving with us as we could, the LR4 sat quite a bit. One day my wife went out to drive it and it wouldn't start. So I put a charger on it and after a few hours it started right up. Similar thing happened a couple of weeks later. So this time I took it to Advance and had them test the battery. They said it was fine. Yesterday it wouldn't start again.

So here is what I know:

1) Dealer says it is going bad.
2) Advance says it is fine.
3) Car won't start.
4) Doors open with keyless entry and radio plays.
5) Battery meters at 12.3V.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
12.3V is very low, what does it measure with engine running ?
Should be mid/high 14's at a minimum if not then i'd suspect the alternator to be on its way out.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:54 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out it was a loose ground connection.

But that doesn't explain why what I did to get it started worked. I finally gave up with chargers and hooked my F-250 SD Diesel up to it with jumper cables. Was getting 13.8V and it took a minute, but then turned over and started right up.

So not sure why it turned over with the additional voltage given that the issue was a ground. But a $62.50 bill from the dealer to fix it is probably the cheapest I have ever gotten out of there so it is all good.