General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1959 88" series ll engine smokes / knocks should I buy need advice thanks .

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 AM
jco
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1959 88" series ll engine smokes / knocks should I buy need advice thanks .

Hi. I posted this question yesterday under a different subject and haven't received any responses. I'm going to try again with another heading. Sorry if it is a bother, but time is of the essence.

A week ago I never thought about owning a Rover. Then I saw this 1959 ser.2 88 for sale locally and I've become obsessed. I need some advice. The Rover is fairly beat, has some Bondo, some crumby silicone caulking, the cabin leaks water, has some dents, some surface rust... owner says it leaks and burns oil and has an engine knock when it gets up to temperature (and it probably has other issues ) He is asking under $3,000 for it.

I am reasonably handy and posses moderate technical and mechanical skills. I'm not looking to attempt a full restoration, but I would like to know, in general, if Land Rover's are "easy" to work on... they look so damn simple... and are parts for a 1959 "easy" to come by, and "cheap" (those being both highly subjective modifiers).

My goal initially would be to make it mechanically sound.

Am I out of my head ? Should I just stay the hell away from ? I don't mind a project, but I want to avoid nightmare.

I realize this is pretty vague, general inquiry with not much specific information and plenty of room for speculation, but any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, JC.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1959 88" series ll engine smokes / knocks should I buy need advice thanks .

So its factory "New" what I'm saying is the old Rovers leak water the heater is well for show, it will ride like a tank.

Now that said to find out if it is "worth it" look for rust if it has bulk head rust or more than a little rust on the frame this is a lot of work.

The motor will need to be redone.

If you are in the US parts will cost more and will come from just a few places.

Bondo is bad you don't want much.