General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 disco with external headgasket exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:46 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 disco with external headgasket exhaust leak

hi , I'm new guy on the block and any help is appreciated ... I have the dreaded cho cho train headgasket leak that you pray never to get . Combustion external leak outside passenger head middle ... It's loud .. No overheating or mixing but I parked it anyway.
My question is , any sealer work or a remote chance to work on this type of leak ?

Second , if I do an overhaul on just the passenger side , how many hours labor would I save versus a complete job ? I'm strapped for cash and willing to take my chances on doing just one side ... I just need truck to last this winter and , I drive only 3 miles a day... Truck is 2000 d2 with 150k ... Thanks in advance ... Glad to be in family !!!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

You can do both sides for @ $500 if you do the tear down/rebuild yourself. Why give it to somebody else eh? The biggest cost is having the heads shaved because once you have a gasket leak (and it doesn't matter which type of leak) the head is more than likely warped. I can have two heads skinned for $150 without removing valve-train gear. The rest is head gaskets, head bolts, valley pan and smalls to complete. The DII for a novice would take about a week start to finish. For a vet it takes about three days. The hardest part is how much needs to be removed just to get to the heads.

No, there's nothing you can do to stop the leakage once it starts. It's compromised the sealing ring - the metal ring on the head gasket that seals the cylinder circumference. Yours is chunked. If you do drive it disconnect the injector for that cylinder otherwise you'll chew a super heated gas channel to the outside world and that means you'll have to have the block "decked". That's expensive..........

Oh and welcome to the "family"........ dysfunctional as it is.

Buy Felpro head gaskets and a good set of head bolts and you can get those through NAPA. The rest you can go with Rovahfarm.com to choose what expense level you can handle. If you need to you can call Trevor and tell him what the deal is - money's tight.

Last edited by ihscouts; 09-20-2015 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
disco ruff (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you wont save yourself much time at all it all the same work, just 10 less head bolts and 8 less exhaust bolts to remove. You would be better off spend the little extra time and doing it completely.

disco ruff (09-25-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 PM
4wd Low
Smile Great info

Originally Posted by ihscouts
You can do both sides for @ $500 if you do the tear down/rebuild yourself. Why give it to somebody else eh? The biggest cost is having the heads shaved because once you have a gasket leak (and it doesn't matter which type of leak) the head is more than likely warped. I can have two heads skinned for $150 without removing valve-train gear. The rest is head gaskets, head bolts, valley pan and smalls to complete. The DII for a novice would take about a week start to finish. For a vet it takes about three days. The hardest part is how much needs to be removed just to get to the heads.

No, there's nothing you can do to stop the leakage once it starts. It's compromised the sealing ring - the metal ring on the head gasket that seals the cylinder circumference. Yours is chunked. If you do drive it disconnect the injector for that cylinder otherwise you'll chew a super heated gas channel to the outside world and that means you'll have to have the block "decked". That's expensive..........

Oh and welcome to the "family"........ dysfunctional as it is.

Buy Felpro head gaskets and a good set of head bolts and you can get those through NAPA. The rest you can go with Rovahfarm.com to choose what expense level you can handle. If you need to you can call Trevor and tell him what the deal is - money's tight.

If I pull the injector and spark plug on that cyl that's leaking , will I be doing additional damage to other areas like the coil pack or the valves etc ... Some claim that running a unbalanced motor will destroy it but they were not referring to the bosh engine .

I love the idea , because I have to move the truck daily from the driveway to street - morning and night .. It just pains me to hear that noise , and I visualize my block getting torched - literally and figuratively lol ..

Thanks for your advice ... Kevin

Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Camel Trophy

For short term keep the plug working just unplug the injector. Yes you can smoke ANY motor running it "unbalanced". Bosch means nothing, even less than nothing as far as I'm concerned......

disco ruff (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 05:57 PM
4wd Low
Smile External exhaust leak out head gasket

Ok , I pin pointed the leak it is above 6cyl head bolt ... What if I clean area and jam some permaweld manifold sealer around area sandwich area head/block ?
Or on negitive side:
Would that possibly deflect heated compression to the rest of gasket possibly reaching coolant jacket , for worse damage ?

If you jam a rubber hose over the leak she quiets down instantly but it's hotttttt

Old 09-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Can't borrow the cash or what?

disco ruff (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 07:37 PM
4wd Low
Smile Leaker

Lol .. How ya guess ?? G

I fell in love with the truck last winter, and she blew in April and parked since ... My summer car is BMW 740il but it's a dog in winter and bald tires .. Champagne cars on beer salary ..

I'm afraid of what I will find inside heads of the disco ,plus never tore into a motor before , other than putting in a water pump on the m60 engine in Beemer... That took me 2 days (harmonic balancer hell)

Somehow gotta get that rova on road by winter .. Wisconsin winters no joke

Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Preach'n to the choir on winter. I'm not even going to bother asking why you've waited until now to do anything about it...... day's a get'n shorter, tree's a turn'n color.

Anyways, you won't be able to cheat with the type of failure you have so somehow your gonna have equip the 740 with treads or fix the Rover's hg and you might have to give one up to get the other equipped. Life aint easy, choices are.

disco ruff (10-23-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a few hundred bucks and a weekend and you could have it right. you can get gaskets and bolts for $80.00.

disco ruff (10-23-2015)

Quick Reply: 2000 disco with external headgasket exhaust leak