General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Discovery Torque Converter fail

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:56 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Discovery Torque Converter fail

2000 Discivery 2 SE7
140,000 miles

Wanting some opinions on what would be the best route to take on repairing my wifes disco. While driving today it seems the tc failed. You can here a knocking noise and the m & s light began to flash. Lost all propulsion. If anyone has any advice if i should either replacing the whole transmission or rebuilding the old one feel free to comment. My other idea is a stick of dynamite. In the past three months I have replaced the crank sensor, plugs, wires, coil packs, maf sensor, air filter box, fuel pump, sealed both sunroofs, & the three amigos just started showing up...but when it runs its a great ride.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

If you are positive that it is the torque converter you can just buy another one. I have taken mine off when replacing the engine; I don't see how one could be replaced with the engine and transmission in place because it basically attached to the engine and slides over a spline to the transmission... It has to be pulled away from the transmission toward the front of the vehicle.

You could have a broken flex plate, which the torque converter attaches to just before the flywheel.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Camel Trophy

There is an inspection port on the bottom of the transmission bell housing and two ports on the back of the engine that should be covered by rubber. The latter allows you access to the bolts that attach the tc to the flex plate. You can look through those to see what damage might be apparent.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Charlie, it was late and snowing when it went out so I wasn't able to troubleshoot much. Amazing timing...

Old 01-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Pleasure. I was under mine today to change the oil. The plate on the bell housing is round and there are a few small bolts. You can remove those and see the torque converter. The easiest inspection port to the starter gear and flex plate is on the driver side just above the end of the oil pan. It is round, black, and should have an "ear" that you can pull on to take it out. From there you should be looking at the back of the starter gear. If you rotate the engine you will see bolts that go through openings in the starter gear to the flex plate, and attach to the torque converter. If you have a shredded flex plate you might be able to see it from on of those locations.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to replace these parts without dropping the transmission or removing the engine.

Was she driving it when this happened? Is it possible that it is in neutral and the shift linkage is just undone? I know that sounds ridiculous but it would be the easiest thing to fix. You will be able to see where the linkage meets the side of the transmission. Might help to have someone sit inside and move the gear selector while you watch the linkage.