General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 range rover lwb

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:59 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 range rover lwb

hi, my 93 range rover has a problem when i pul off. it just wont go. its like it has a flat spot. it runs great on the freeway untill i slow down. as soon as i put on the gas it starts again. spluttering and back firing. its not over heating at all. have you any ideas where i could start looking at for the problem.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 93 range rover lwb

How many miles on your truck, what octane gas are you running, when was the last full tune up done and is your check engine light on?
Mike

Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
4wd Low

this rover has 155,000 miles on it. i do not know when it was last tuned up. as i only got it a month or so ago. i only put in regular unleaded gas in it. it is a 4.2 lt engine.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First-- pull off the distributor cap. Then using a thumb and forefinger, twist the distributor rotor (you should feel a resistence as you rotate it against the springs on the counterweights), and quickly let it go. Does it snap back?. If not-- then you have the famous seized distributor shaft which manifests itself with symptoms asyou describe. Also inspect the inside of the cap for signs of arcing or heavy build-up on the contacts. Only use a genuine Lucas replacement rotor, as the cheap copies are known to have arcing problems.

Another weak area on these Range Rovers are the ignition amplifiers. Heat in the distributor body kills them over time-- and there isaretro-fit kit thatrelocates the new amplifier in a remote location.

At night -- in a dark garage with the engine running --- walk around both sides of the vehicle with the hood open, and look for (and listen-- for the "snapping") for any signs of arcing from the Distributor, plug wires, ignition coil.

Other than this-- the only other thing that comes to mind is a fuel pump that is marginal in output, or a Mass Air Flow unit that is on its last legs.

regards,

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
4wd Low

thanks for your help. i changed the plugs and did the checks you say. there was no arking at all. first thnig to come to mind was mosture under the dizzy cap. but that was good. for the first few mins its great. its like a auto choke swiching off then it starts its spluttering.