General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 D1 location and description of the ECM's "Tune resistor"

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 95 D1 location and description of the ECM's "Tune resistor"

Going crazy not finding it, looked not hidden away in the wiring harness as well haven't found it under the right front passenger foot well area where all the relays live.
Better yet if I knew what it looked like as well any clues what the colors it might be?
A 95 D1 date built 11-94 with 5 speed US market, California EPA approved not an out of state vehicle. Thanks in advance.......~~=o&o>........

Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

The electrical trouble shooting manual can be found in the link to the google drive in my signature. Look for etlj950x.pdf.

On page 18 and page 553 of that document it suggests the NAS trucks did not have "K140 Tune Select Resistor".

Attached Thumbnails 95 D1 location and description of the ECM's "Tune resistor"-k140-tune-resistor.jpg  
Old 09-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

US discovery did not use a tune resistor, it is locked to a specific map and will ignore it if you add one unless you swap out the chip in the ecu

Old 09-11-2019, 03:13 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WaltNYC, thanks for your reply and time as this really helps especially the rave manuals. robertf's information also a big thanks. This forum blows the other LR forums out of the water, what was I thinking wasting months of my time? These other LR forums were into LR3's and LR4's 99% of the time plus no replies over a question several weeks later, none at all.

So no tune resistor for the North American market after reading different sources which kept mentioning a tune resistor was required, but where I say?
Now given the tune resistor is in the ECU it's one less thing to worry about which brings up another question, should a trim resistor still be required as read by RPI's 5AM to 20AM swap? RPI site also shows a jumper across two wires in the wiring harness before the ECU connector?
The tune resistor must also be inside the Mark Adams "Tornado" chip i've been running the past 17 years purchased from RPIV8 in the UK. Contacting Chris Crane is about impossible. Most his replies, "send us your engine, we will straighten things out" Or a "no" or "possible" one word short replies. Wanting the Tornado chip's idle lowered down from the 828 rpm idle to 650 to 675 rpm's allowing much better engine braking as I can now takeoff letting out the clutch at 500 rpm's before applying throttle is how the 4.6 is tuned, much better running stop and go in town traffic.
I'm converting to a 20AM mass meter from the 5AM mass meter and planned on making up a short jumper connected to the wiring harness connector, other end to the 20AM mass meter. Already have a 5AM mass meter socket connector and three wire connector for the 20AM meter. Easy swap back to the 5AM should it be required for smog check, not butchering up the wiring harness at all. Still waiting for Mark Adam's reply to a couple of questions before going another step into the swap like a trim resistor still required between between two wires before the ECU connector? Don't wanta let the smoke out.....~~=o&o>......

Again thanks everyone you've been a great help, I can die a happy man, no JK.......~~=o&o>.......