General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 traction failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 traction failure

I was driving my 98 4.0 SE today and when I went around a corner it shut off with a traction failure light. I sat for a minute and started it up and it has run fine. Any help on what this was? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 98 traction failure

A 98 what?
What shut off, the engine?
Was there a check engine light on when you restarted?
Mike

Old 07-10-2006, 07:48 PM
4wd Low

Hi Mike, thanks fo the reply. I have a 1998 Range Rover 4.0 SE. The engine shut off while turning a corner and the traction failure light remained until I shut the truck off. I let it sit for a minute and restarted it and it started normal. I keep this truck serviced very well at my dealer. Does this help with a possible explination? Thanks again, Cody.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Administrator

This is a strange one, no check engine light, has it happened any more?
I really don't know where to go with this, wish you had a check engine light, least you could pull a code and get an answer.
Wish I could give you an answer, let me know if anything changes.
Mike

Old 07-11-2006, 09:59 AM
4wd Low

Hi Mike, I drove the rest of the day and last night and it acted fine. I hope it was just a fluke. I will keep you updated. Thanks! cody

Old 07-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Administrator

If it happens again, pray for a fault code>
Mike

Old 07-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Three Wheeling

If the traction light comes on then it is basically telling you that it believes the system is overheating and it is disabling it to prevent damage. It is suppose to turn the light off after the system cools down and resume functions. Now this may have been all it was but there is a chance it is a sign that you may be developing a problem in your ABS Brake Accuator (what you might call a master cylinder on another car). ETC works by using the brakes on the rear axle up to 30 MPH, at which it is disabled above that, also it is disabled whenever you are applying the brakes. with my 95, the valves that ETC uses were starting to allow pressure to bled off over time if the brake pedal was not used. The last time I was four wheeling, I was in a lot of sand and my ETC was being used alot. at the end of the day when I left for home system gave out finally I am in the process of changing it out. This may not be your problem but it is a possible cause. Do you remember if it was just the traction light that came on or did the brake and ABS lights also come on?

Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Winching

Sounds like it just stalled and the ABS lights illuminated as usual? A throttle body service, PCV hose inspection, and base idle set might be in order. How many miles?

Codes can be set with out the CEL coming on.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
4wd Low

Thanks for your response. I hope it was just a stall. Thank you again and I will for sure let you know if it happens again! Cody

Old 07-17-2006, 11:04 PM
4wd Low

Hi Mike,

Last Thursday my truck died and had to get towed to the dealership. They were able to start it one more time last Friday and it has been what they call "blacked out" since. They said their computer will not read it and they are baffled. They gave me a loaner to use until they figure something out. They said they have never seen a Range Rover completely black out like this is doing. They made a call into the tech line at Rover and were looking for some answers. Wouldn't you know some freak thing like this happens to me. My truck has ben maintained perfectly. I am the second owner and it has never been off road and every service it has ever needed has ben done and I have had numerous preventative things done. Have you heard of anything like this on a P38? Thanks! Cody

Quick Reply: 98 traction failure