General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015 | 12:02 AM
|
4th Gear
Default Advice please

Not to sure if I am posting this in the right place or not but I could not find a general discussion forum. Any way I have to say that I have never owned a Land rover nor have I even road in one but I like the way they look and that they are supposed to be LUXURY vehicles right ?. Well I have a question for you LR gurus out there... why are older used Land rovers so cheep ? I mean look at what you get price wise on a 90 to 2000 discovery with around 100k miles and compare it to a bone stock 4 cylinder no ac jeep wrangler. I have seen the jeeps go from the 7 to 9k range and the Land rovers of the same year and mileage going from 3 to 7k ?. Also if I was to look for a Land rover to buy what would be the best year and model to buy as for the older LR that is... Now I cant afford a defender lol so do I want a disco I disco II or maybe a range rover ? I don't know but I do know you guys do so PLEASE point me in the right direction lol.

Thank you all in advance.

Old 01-17-2015 | 09:12 AM
Pro Wrench

This topic gets touched on pretty regularly. The older Land Rovers are for the most part cheap for a few reasons. As they age cost rise to repair. Most people who buy them new do very little maintenance required. Since most service at the dealership the costs skyrocket. All the ignored (and very preventable) problems mount up and suddenly it's got a laundry list of minor BS crap.

Another one is because due to their finicky nature these trucks have a wrongly perceived unreliable reputation. Most large issue with these trucks can easily be avoided. But since most people drive them like a Honda and do nothing problems stack up and turn into big issues. In my opinion if you aren't planning on doing at least minor work/maintenance yourself it doesn't make sense to own one. These trucks are actually quite easy to work on. Most mechanics assume since they are "exotic" they are mysterious and hard to fix. So in turn they don't work on them. So you have to get a indy shop to do the repairs. Stay away from the dealership for anything. There are some great used and new vendors for parts.

They are known for head gaskets blowing. So look for signs of overheating. Try and buy one with maintenance history. If not assume you will need to do all of the standard preventive maintenance it needs. D1 has less electronics than the D2. But the D2 is a bit more refined to drive. Depends on what your using it for. I personally prefer the D1 because it's more utilitarian out of the box. But the D2 with a few changes is an awesome truck. There are scores of threads here about it.

Jeeps are expensive because of simple supply and demand. They are very popular. Land Rover, not so much. The Jeep will never match the handling, finish and smoothness the that Discovery has.

One thing to remember about researching a a new unfamiliar car or truck on the forums: most people only post when they are having a problem. Someone here said that once and it's very very true. For all the scary problems you read about there are thousands working properly. They just don't post about it.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 01-17-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-17-2015 | 10:07 AM
Mudding

I love my Discovery. I have owned several Jeeps, Samuari, Broncos. The Discovery is smooth and quiet, does great off road. If you do your own repairs and maintenance AND can shop for parts because parts prices are all over, you might enjoy owning one. They are not Hondas. Don't buy one thinking you are going to get 200,000 trouble free miles. I average $150 month in repairs and maintenance.

Old 01-17-2015 | 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling

I've always been a ford & chevy guy, bought a D2 last year. I'm addicted to em, My dad likes em because they remind him of the old international scouts. They are pretty damn cool. Maintenance is a must. If you buy one I would get a carfax on it, Its true a lot of yuppies neglected them and failed to do preventative maintenance. Best part for owning a rover for me is having an excuse for the wifey to buy more tools.

Old 01-17-2015 | 12:38 PM
|
4th Gear

Thanxs guys for the replies.

What are the best years to look at ? and what motor ? I like more of a off road road typ vehicle than a cushy on road vehile.

Old 01-17-2015 | 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

I would stick to pre 2001 so you have a locking transfer case.

I know the 04 has this as well but the motors in the 04 just seem so much more likely to grenade.

Or get a Range Rover Classic

Old 01-17-2015 | 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Shift, I've said that and it's true on all forums..... Just like the "how's my driving" sticker on a big rig or co. Truck. I have actually called on one and said "great job avoiding a crash....." I don't, personally, know anyone else who has. Same deal.... The loudest voice is always the one of desperation, anger and frustration.

Now excuse me, while I continue on my trouble free excursion in my disco. Trying to break something, in this creek. Though, I never can seem to.

Last edited by dusty1; 01-17-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2015 | 05:50 PM
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mark d
I love my Discovery. I have owned several Jeeps, Samuari, Broncos. The Discovery is smooth and quiet, does great off road. If you do your own repairs and maintenance AND can shop for parts because parts prices are all over, you might enjoy owning one. They are not Hondas. Don't buy one thinking you are going to get 200,000 trouble free miles. I average $150 month in repairs and maintenance.

What do you spend $150 on ? why so much per month ?

Old 01-17-2015 | 05:55 PM
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I would stick to pre 2001 so you have a locking transfer case.

I know the 04 has this as well but the motors in the 04 just seem so much more likely to grenade.

Or get a Range Rover Classic

I like the older Range Rovers too but why a RR over a LR disco ? what are the pros and cons ?

Old 01-17-2015 | 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Older, simpler, dead simple to fix and trouble shoot. Only real downside to some is the borg warner transfer case. Oh and seats are more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Advice please