General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternator problem

Hi everyone, the alternator on my discovery is really noisyfor the last few days. I went to see a mechanic this morning to make surethat the noise was really coming from the alternator and it is. At the same time he checked the fan and he told me Iwill also have to change the fan clutch and the water pump. What a surprise!
I went on line to check the prices, the parts will cost arround 600 $.
My questions are:
Is it better to rebuild the alternator or to buy a new one? Apparently it's easy to replace.
What are the signs of a worn fan clutch and water pump? Would it be good to replace those parts at the same time?
I changed the drive belt 3 weeks ago, do you think that it's related to my problem with the alternator?
If I decide to replace all the parts, do you havesome tips before to do so (other parts needed, particulars concerning the work to do).

Thanks for replying.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Winching
Default RE: Alternator problem

Someones gunna have to check me on this one since im new to Rovers, but if its a standard Thermostatic fan clutch which Im assuming it is (heat activated), then when the engine is cool and the trucks level, give the fan a spin. It should spin freely. If it only spins a 1/4 revolution or so and has resistance, youve got a bad fan clutch.

On the other hand, if the Rovers have a Viscous fan clutch, meaning its got an oil in there, its just the opposite. Should not spin freely when cold.

Waterpumps will generally leak/weep when they are on their way out. Any mysterious loss of coolant or visible coolant stains under the hood?

Old 01-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

What year truck and how many miles on it?
Go to Auto Zone and buy one of their alternators, price is great and they have a life time warranty.
As for the water pump and fan, is the water pump leaking, does the fan have some play in it?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Ok thanks for the help. My truck is a 1999 discovery serie 1 SD with 114 000 miles.
I found a shop that should be able to replace the bearing for $ 70. I think I will give that a try. I will go to autozone if the shop can't fix it, thanks for the tip.
When I checked the fan yesterday without the drive belt, it moved quite a lot, but I didn't try to spin it to check the resistance. And yes, I have a smallcoolant leak coming from somewhere behind the alternator, I didn't see where exactly. The level of coolant hasn't change much.
I am going to work on the truck tomorow and I will let you know what I find.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go for a coolant pressure test to locate the coolant leak, on the alternator rebuild, if you are going to open it up then have them check the rest, might as well while you are in there.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Hi, I took the alternator off the car and I checked the fan clutch again, I didn't see any resistance when I was spinning it, it's making a full turnboth ways, and it doesn't really move forward and backward. I think I will also replace the bearing on the tension pulley.
In the opposite the coolant fluid leak is coming from the water pump, I seriously think that's shot. I don't know if the fan clutch needs to be replaced or not. do you any advice on what I should check again.