General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

another 3 amigos conundrum anyone!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:44 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another 3 amigos conundrum anyone!

I just bought a 1999 discovery 2. It was cheap and couldn't resist as my old 200TDi was very much past it it.

now, the 23 amigos problem...

the car was Tested 4 months ago, driven all of 50 yards out of the test centre and parked up outside. It sat there since. Obviously the ABS must have been ok as it wouldn't have passed its test.

during its 4 months sat there, the battery died totally, new battery fitted, started first time, but with the 3 amigos.

could the flat battery have contributed? Is there a simple reset if thats the case.

I'm hoping its just a fault generated by the battery failure, as the car had only been driven 50yards since its test

any ideas?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

no its not the battery. there is no easy fix. there is something wrong with the ABS system. what are the brakes like? are they squaking? is there excessive brake dust? jack up the truck and see if there is any play in the tires front to back and top to bottom. You need to get the ABS codes read, see if you can find an indie shop that will do it on the cheap or possibly someone on the forum who lives nearby has the RSW Amigo so they can read it for you. Are you in the UK, AUS or NZ? what is the mileage on the truck?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

The battery won't cause it, driving it after it sat for so long with rotors that probably got rusty, could.
Drive it till the rust is gone then if the brakes are not squeaking go have a Rover tech. scan for ABS codes.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 AM

might want to clean up the brakes and spray some deadening spray on there while you have the truck jacked and wheels off.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

When it comes to our brake system, there is no gray area. A squeak is a squeak and it can and usually will always throw the 3 amigos on.
Make a point of replacing if necessary, those pads before spending any money trying to read and clear the codes.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
4th Gear

just had the wheels and calipers off. pads are virtually new, still a wee bit of surface rust on the disks, which I guess when it scrubs off might help the squeak. The brakes function absolutely spot on.

Absolutely freezing here today so gonna give it a few days, put a few more miles on, then get at the sensors and give everything a clean.

Not worked on a D2 before. no ABS on my old 200Tdi (missing it already!), so I'm guessing you have to pull the hub off to get at the sensors?

Old 10-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Three Wheeling

just the calipers and rotors if that makes you feel any better. whomever designed those dang wheel sensors and the little circuit board ground wire connector buried in the middle of the ABS shuttle assembly, should be shot. It's a fabulous vehicle and you'll really enjoy it I'm sure, it deserved far better than it got in the ABS dept.
________
PetiteFantasi22

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by phatduc
just the calipers and rotors if that makes you feel any better. whomever designed those dang wheel sensors and the little circuit board ground wire connector buried in the middle of the ABS shuttle assembly, should be shot. It's a fabulous vehicle and you'll really enjoy it I'm sure, it deserved far better than it got in the ABS dept.

very funny... if you have not already download the workshop manual at www.landroverresource.com

Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM
4th Gear

thanks for the link - awesome and very handy, was going to buy a haynes, but don't need to now!

put 400 miles on it today, still a bit of a squeak drivers side front, hopefully not a bearing squeak, as I just saw the price of them

errors still not cleared, disks etc totally scrubbed up now so going to have to bite the bullet and get em all stripped this weekend

any tips. the old D1 hubs were a doddle to work on, guess I'm in for some not so pleasant surprises with these fellas

Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 AM
4th Gear

ok, story thus far. Rear brake pads were rattling & chattering a bit, so fitted new pads. noticed once I got up to about 70mph, a bit of a rumble soassumed thats a wheel bearing on its way out, so lashed out on a new bearing/hub/sensor unit (how much??? )

still got the 3 lights. so question is, once these fellas have manifested themselves and displayed the error, does the system have to be plugged in and reset to clear them or should they just go away when it does the self test on start up?

annoying/puzzling as there as the car went through its MOT fine, no lights etc and was driven all of 50 feet and then has sat there since, this fault just appearing when I went back to it and stuck a new battery on

I guess, if they are supposed to clear automatically I need to get it plugged in somewhere to work out where the fault lies

Quick Reply: another 3 amigos conundrum anyone!