General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

antifreeze leak on 1999 disco II

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antifreeze leak on 1999 disco II

Hello, my Discovery II has 122K miles on it and has been leaking anti-freeze. I have been putting it in daily to keep it filled and it has gradually gotten worse. I am trying to find a mechanic to find out what is wrong on Monday - until then will it harm the vehicle if I keep replacing the anti-freeze and ensure it does not overheat? It has not overheated- I noticed the lead when it started running hot. Thank You

Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: antifreeze leak on 1999 disco II

So, you have a job today, get under the hood and truck and find the leak. Don't go to a mechanic without a clue, coolant leaks are way to easy to find. Consider power scrubbing your engine, if it is a D2 and you will have better luck helping your self.
Get back to us, TODAY, with what you are seeing and then make sure you get back to us tomorrow when you get the good news, from a mechanic, with the estimate.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:00 PM
8th Gear

ok- I went out there this morning and during the night it has gotten progressively worse. It looks like it has all leaked out right behind the passenger side front wheel. I am looking for the leak now- I do not see any hoses leaking and when I filled it up and took the cap off it is still running water or antifreeze thru it and when I removed the cap it still sounds like the pressure is good. When I start it I see no leaks, when I stop it is when it seems to leak more. From what I have read could this be a water pump or head gasket issue and how can I found out before I take it in? Thank you, I appreciate your response and I have read the past posts about overheating

Old 11-23-2008, 03:12 PM
8th Gear

went under the vehicle and it is covered with anti freeze all over. it looks like it is leaking from the head gasket- but I may be wrong because it is all over- I am going to refill it tomorrow morning to take to a mechanic.
Do you know of any in the north dallas area (Frisco) that you could recommend? Thank You

Old 11-23-2008, 03:24 PM
8th Gear

actually, its not blowing white smoke and it does not sound like it is running hard after I refill it with coolant. It smells like coolant is burning but I can see it is leaking but I cannot find the leak. If it was a head gasket from what I have read it would blow white smoke. It is not doing that.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

PM me your tele number and I will call you ASAP.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:24 PM
8th Gear

took it in- they said I need a new headgasket. Here is the estimate I received:

labor 990.00
headgasket 257.00
coolant 21.90
oil 17.46
oil filter 15.75
power test 22.50
machine shop 250.00

total estimate 1900.00 - he also stated not to drive it - HOWEVER, when I drive it, as long as I have coolant in it, it does NOT run hot or rough- it feels fine. That is the weird part.

I told him I wanted to wait - I am going to get at least two other estimates.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Mike,

Can you tell me what you guys came up with over the phone. I have a similiar issue with mine. Same year and model. I can see what appears to be my leak. It look like it is leaking from the outside corner of the head and deck surface. It is not internal just external. Not to say it won't get there if left untreated. What are the chances of it being the intake gasket or plenum gasket and just running down? I plan on doing the work myself. I am mechanically inclined. Are there any helpful hints or trade secrets for this vehicle that I should be aware of? What is the approximate time it will take? Should I have the heads resurfaced?

Thanks,
WM

Old 11-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Theresa was going to pick up the truck this morning, I was to walk her thru some things to do and check. She never called, so it is all up in the air at this point.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 AM
8th Gear

I am picking it up this morning - Mike gave me enough instructions to drive it home - I am going to phone him from home and he is going to walk me thru some things.

I also have another appt for an estimate Friday.

Quick Reply: antifreeze leak on 1999 disco II