General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

bad gas or more?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 02:31 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad gas or more?

Hi all, new to the forum but not new to the Rover experience. I just purchased a 96 RR 4.0. It hasn't arrived yet but the previous owner indicated that he starts it and it idles rough (sometimes stalling) and when given a steady throttle it does stall. He said he could keep it running by pressing gas, releasing, pressing gas, releasing......... It has been sitting since Sept. when he tried to start it to take it to get iair suspension fixed. He didn't make it. Where do I start looking for the problem? Also, do you recommend fixing air suspension or converting to coil? Thanks alot.

Old 12-17-2004, 04:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: bad gas or more?

Sounds like a fuel mixture problem. What sort of carb is fitted?

If it has been laid up a little while the carb may have a build up of white dust from the fuel, causing blockages in the carb, thus a rebuild of the carb maybe required.

Also as a quick check, check to make sure that the air filter is clean and okay.

Air or coil suspension, well the choice is yours. The air always has the problem of dropping, though one uk company now does a device which will allow you to bypass the sensors so you can at least get it home or to a garage, without it been down onthe bump stops and only able to do 20mph

Old 12-18-2004, 03:25 AM
4wd Low

Not sure what carb is fitted yet. Range arrives next week. I'll start with the easy stuff and let you know.
As for the spring conversion I may just ride around real slow on the bump stops cause its a real cool look Actually I still havent decided. You seem to have a vast knowledge on Rovers and I'm sure you own 1, 2, or more. Do you have air or did you switch? Thanks.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:05 AM
Rock Crawling

Well, sorry to say, I have never owned a Range Rover, I have always driven Land Rover though, as i was brought up on a farm. So I was driving a Land Rover around the farm well before I passed my driving test at 17.

I currently have the teo Land Rovers at the moment, as listed below. Pics can be found in my gallery.

On the other site I run, I know people have done both, swapped and stayed with the air. It is a question of what you like the most. The air gives a much smoother ride, compared the the springs. The springs though are far tougher, and can cope with hard off road punishment more than the air bags. (Simplier and less to go wrong.) So it is dependant on what you want to use the Ranger Rover for, and what your comfortable with.