General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CA Smog issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA Smog issues

Well here i am with new to me Land Rover Disco 1 1999. Here is a little back story to how i came to buy and love on a Land Rover. A friend of my wifes husband had this White 1999 Land Rover sitting in his drive way for a few year. I asked what he wanted to do with her and he always said he wanted to keep it and fix it up. Well his wife told him to sell it and called me up and said "well my wife won the fight and told me to sell her off. Do you want it?" Well who would let a 1999 Land Rover Disco with only 105k miles on it go for 1700. So i jumped all over it.

A few weeks passed and i went over to pay for her and pick it up. When i got there she was in not so good of shape. She was only running on 7 cylinders, Brake light was on, ABS light on, Check engine like and service engine light on. So i was able to drive her home (only live 1/2 mile from them) and parked her in my drive way. The next day i started to go through her inside and out. Made MASSIVE list of everything wrong with the truck. Put things in order from Really bad to I can deal with it and fix it later.

So i ordered a new Coil to fix the miss ($104), Spark plugs, wires, KN filter, fuel system cleaner, oil and filter (about $140). Well after doing all this fixing the abs and clearing all codes i drove her around for about 2 weeks. Nothing seemed to pop up and drove like a dream.

Now comes for the fun part. So as you have read before everything was working well on the truck and drive GREAT. I took her in today and smogged her. She FAILED and how now been claimed as a GP (gross poluter)!!!!

After going over the paper and crying a little bit that my baby failed. I soon came up with the conclusion that she is running RICH. But here is the interesting part their isn't a code saying so.

here are the test results:

at idle she ran 719rpm %co2 measures at 13.0, %o2 0.0, HC (ppm) Max 100 she measures at 239 (ouchy) now CO% max 1% she ran 2.91% (GP)

now at a rev of 2467 %co2 mesures at 12.5 %o2 Measures at .01 hc(ppn) Max 180 Measures at 199 (not to bad) co% max 1.10 Measures at 3.71%.

So i need help please!!!

I love my land rover and have no entension of selling her off. Granted i did not know what i was getting into but coming from a long relationship with 1980 cj5's i know it can be a hand full. I am commited to getting this girl back on her feet and off the GP list and on the clean list just need some help to get there

Thank you for reading my post

(i am not an english major so please read through my typo's and horrible punctuation thanks)

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well for starters the K&N air filter will destroy your $1500 MAF.
If she is running to rich make sure you are using the proper grade of gasoline, make sure there is no more stale gas in the tank and replace your FRONT oxygen sensors.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Mudding

Really not doubting your knowledge but how does a k&n destroy a MAF?

as for the gasoline it all has been flushed and only use 91 octane from Chevron. Wouldn't the o2 sensors be showing with a check engine light? Maybe they are old and not working properly but no throwing a check engine light?

Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Scharfire

as for the gasoline it all has been flushed and only use 91 octane from Chevron. Wouldn't the o2 sensors be showing with a check engine light? Maybe they are old and not working properly but no throwing a check engine light?

Oil gets on the wire breaks the metal down.
Check for air leaks in intake,
use techron on a 1/4 tank of gas
Change oil just prior to test.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone says they destroy the MAF, that being said I have had a K&N for 30k and no issues what so ever!
I wouldn't worry about that. Just find a good deal on a used MAF and start a spare parts shelf in the garage!
Sorry about your smog failing. I'm glad we don't have smog testing where I live...

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

The excess oil gets on the heating element and ruins it, plus they do absolutely nothing for MPG or horse power, maybe on a Mustang or Camero but not on these things.

The O2's can not be working correctly and not throw a code.
If they were still in range but not at peak efficiency you will run rich.
Amazon.com has the best prices on them, you only need the front's.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Mudding

Well today was day 2 after clearing codes and a no codes so far. I think the main reason it failed was my error. I don't think I gave her enough time after clearing the codes before I smogged. I will be changing the oil, cleaning plugs (plugs are maybe 2 months old) and will be cleaning the air filter just in case. Then drive her about 50 miles on the freeway then smog. Should pass next time. Will be smogging Friday will keep you all posted.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Team Owner

They sell that guaranteed to pass smog stuff you put in the gas tank.
Maybe put that in too right before your drive?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Mudding

well i have thought about that but i know that is just going to mask the issue not fix it. So i am going to try to see if i can get it to pass smog with just changing the oil and driving her around then see what happens. if that doesn't work then i will add that stuff in there and do it again.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Mudding

So today I was going to smog it. Pulled in the autoparts store to pick up some octane boost.....bam popped a code. P1138. O2 sensor running rich. Now then could my o2 sensors be bad? Could my cats be clogged? Just did a tune up. New plugs, wires, coil, oil, filters.... I need some guidance on this one. Sorta out of my league.

Quick Reply: CA Smog issues