General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'chirping' sound when under part throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'chirping' sound when under part throttle

Hey folks,

this may not be alot to go on, but looking for some guidance and assistance in chasing down a strange noise coming from the Disco when uder light/partial throttle.

I am a newer LR owner, got my Disco II with about 68k miles and just hit 80k. About the same time, I have deveoped a 'chirping' sound coming from what seems to be the drive train. Have had the truck looked over by my mechanic as well as the dealer and neither can identify the source.

It sounds just like a cricket chirp and only comes during very light throttle, say cruising steady at 25-30 mph (very light steady throttle). When the truck is in idle or heavy throttle, the noise goes away. It does seem to be some what 'patterned' and is definitely rpm sensitive as far as pitch and frequecy of chirps....
I cannot make it happen when in park or neutral no matter how much throttle is applied. Bumpiness of the road doesnt seem to matter, and neither does carrying/towing a load. And I am not seeing any other symptoms other than this chirping sound.

This is totally a shot in the dark, but me and my repair shop have had a hard time replicating/finding the problem let alone fxing it. He even admits he hears it, but has no idea what could be causing this. We have inspected the front driveshaft. Serviced both diffs and the transfer case. and still no improvement. I am running out of ideas here and could sure use some guidance.

Thanks all.
Ted

Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

it is your front drive shat u joints failing. get it rebuilt with greasable u joints before it explodes destorying your transmission and transfer case. do a search on here there are a million thread about rebuilding it, parts you will need, techniques and replacment.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 AM
Rock Crawling

X2 the prop shaft. It is probably the centering ball as it is impossible to inspect without disassembly. The centering ball is what let me know my shaft was about to explode. Four broken needle bearings and lots of rust is what I found.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear

Appreciate the feedback gents...off to do some more research.

I've gotta add that it almost seems as though it can be conrtolled by throttle positioning. Which from what i've read on a local LR club website, seems to point to the centering ball...but they dont have a lot of details on getting into that repair.

I guarantee I will be back with more questions soon...and hopefully some answers of my own.

Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i told you what to do. you need to pull the shaft and rebuild it. or buy a replacement from tom woods. do a search on this forum for drive shaft. its common on D2's.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:33 PM
3rd Gear
Default Spec's

So Tom was a nice enough guy...definitely not the cheapest i found...but the only guy who didnt hammer me for specs that it would seem he should already know, and also the only guy i found who could guarantee he'd have it here by Saturday.

A little bit of politeness and patience when you talk to people, goes a long way. You could take a tip Ed.

Last edited by 01TXDisco; 05-27-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: new information