General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Compounding Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Compounding Problems

PS This morning I did notice that "rotten egg" smell. Sorry for all the amaturish replys. Im just tryin to figure out what I should do to get my baby fixed.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Mudding

Do you think for starters I should just change out the back o2 sensers, clear the codes and see what happens?

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you may want to try swapping the front o2 sensors, clear the codes and see what comes back... do this before the rears... also, after you move then, and clear the codes, start the car for about 30 seconds, then switch it off and then start it again, see how fast the light comes back on, or if you need to drive it before it does

Old 09-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Overlanding

Just a few Saturday morning ruminations.
The rear O2 sensors have no bearing on how the engine performs. Their function is to tell the ECU how well the catalysts are performing. The only codes associated with the rear sensors will be component failure, circuit failure, or catalyst performance.
If the cats do fall apart, the rattling noise is quite pronounced. Warm the vehicle up, get underneath, and bang on the cats with a large rubber mallet. If they rattle, the calalysts are breaking up.
Now I will **** a few members off by suggesting that you take your Discovery to a dealer. They see the same problems on the same models over and over again, and are your most likely source for a proper diagnosis. Further, they have huge resources of technical backup from the technical help line, and can also try a few parts substitutions that, if do not fix your problem, can be turned back in to the parts department. Independent shops will charge you for these parts, whether you needed them or not. They don't have 100 other Discoveries coming in for service in the next two weeks that they can use those parts on.
I was a Land Rover technician for quite a few years. No one but me has even touched my Discovery since it was taken off the transporter at the dealrship where I bought it. But my wife's BMW goes exclusively to a BMW dealer for service. My Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX goes exclusively to the Mitsu dealer for service. Yeah, they have price matrixing and all that profit maximizing strategy, but all my cars run flawlessly. Spend the money, fix it once, and forget about it until something else goes wrong. Let the abuse begin!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Mudding

So I purchased a new MAF and air filter from AB. Installed today, cleard the P0130, P0171. Took it for a drive CEL came back on in about 3 miles. Just P0130 this time. Also crawled under truck to investigate ticking noise. Used the screw driver to the ear trick. Sound like its comeinf from the front of the gear box, the bell housing looking part. Any thoughts. i may have gotten a bad O2 sensor!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Bank 1 sensor 1 as a malfunction.
Did you get rid of the K&N?
Go drive it hard this weekend and watch for new codes.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Mudding

K&N oil filter. Air filter is OEM (Coopers). Think maybe ive got a bad O2 sensor. Maybe ill try switching left and right O2 and see if code follows?

Old 09-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Mudding

Only code I got back is P0130.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Overlanding

Rocker arm! You can now buy them in complete assemblies, cheap. I promise you, that is what is causing the ticking noise.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
4wd Low

The ticking noise is nothing we all haven't heard,
I'm sure it's unrelated to the other problems.
Just use good oil & get a Magnafilter.
Take it to the shop for the fault code help.