General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cooling issues/ stumped need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling issues/ stumped need help!

Hello everyone - My names Pete, I’m new to posting on the forum, but have been reading it from the shadows for a while now.

This is my second Disco 2, first was a 2004 SE7 that I YouTubed, RAVE’d and read this forum for wisdom and learned how to work on rovers. I did a head gasket job and new cooling system on it. Drove it for three years and then sold it. Miss that truck daily !

I was recently given my brother-in-law’s 2003 Disco 2 SE. He’s owned it for a few years, had a blown HG and had a “ new “ engine put in. From what I know it was a 2003 engine with 170k on it that was put in by a local shop near him in Connecticut. It seemed to run ok but was his second LR so it didn’t see much use. He gave it to me as he was moving and needed to get rid of it.

Having worked on my first disco I knew all the areas to check and things to replace.

I hooked up the ultra gauge, and was getting temps at 220 sitting in the driveway with the heat full blast in 30*f weather. Freaked me out, so I knew something was up with the cooling system, so I got to ordering new parts.

1. I started by flushing the cooling system and using the Preston cleaner, and distilled water. I completed two flushes and then filled with green coolant.

2. I also installed a new overflow tank, cap, hoses and soft spring thermostat from Atlantic British.

3 Bled the system per the RAVE and still had temps near 220/225.

4. Fan clutch didn’t pass the peanut butter test. So I ordered a new one.

Temps dropped really low into the - digits and I had some of the hoses disconnected overnight as I was trying to figure out why the temps were still so high.

5. Ordered a new radiator, water pump/ gasket, and coolant tank. ( coolant tank nipple broke in cold temps as I was hooking lines back up outside ( no garage)

So I have a new radiator, T-stat, over flow tank/ cap, hoses, water pump, fan and clutch installed everything pretty smoothly, thinking everything would be great I filled it up with green coolant 50/50. Bled the system- expansion tank raised on battery box, bleeder screw open filled till air came out and steady coolant stream. Then closed bleed screw, filled tank to cold level, capped it and put it back in the holder. No leaks, no drips.

Started it up and turned the heater on high, ultra gauge fired up, and I let it circulate the coolant and wam up.

I checked underneath, looked ok, looked in at uh 195* drove up the driveway 40 yards and hit 225. Instantly shut it off and let it cool down for a few minuets. Fired it back up and went to check under Eve rything again under the hood and underneath. Small drips on bottom of the oil pan area but can’t where it’s coming from. I looked to see if it was coming from the water pump but that seemed fine. All hoses are dry, radiator is holding fine, coolant tank is fine. Look back at the ultra gauge and it says 230!!! I shut it off and left it at the top of the driveway.

At this point I’ve reached the end of my knowledge and experience and would love some help figuring out what to check, what to do, and how to get this thing running and cool.

Thanks for your time

Pete

temps

Old 01-20-2022, 11:44 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Either you just aren't getting it fully bled (it can be a real pain) or perhaps the T-stat is bad (even if it is new) and not opening properly.

Some other (dumb) ideas are to check belt routing and to make sure hoses are connected to the correct ouput of the T-stat. The heart valve can be confusing.

Finally, you are better off posting in the D2 section where you will get more eyes on your question.

The following users liked this post:
BoulderCO (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 11:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Sounds like you've covered all the typical culprits. Can I ask, has your source for temperature readings been the Ultragauge only? For example have you taken an infrared thermometer to the water pump housing to confirm temps are indeed that high? Asking as I've had temperature sensors read incorrectly high / low previously.

BoulderCO (01-22-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:42 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Should try installing an inline thermostat. Check the sticky at the top of the D2 forum.

BoulderCO (01-22-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 02:18 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

In-line t-stat or at least a 180* original style. I haven’t done the mod yet but I have a 180* and mine runs 195-203*, even up our very long steep highways in the British Columbia interior.

BoulderCO (01-22-2022)