General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control

One more problem... my cruise control isn't working. Not an issue normally but since I only drive my "truck" on long trips, the position of the gas pedal causes severe fatigue/cramping after about an hour.

2000 Disco II

The cruise dash light comes on when I engage the system, and the fuse (which also operates the rear washer and mirrors) is fine, so I'm guessing the problem is in the steering column / set switch. (Note - I also have trouble with the turn signal switch when the car is cold in the winter...???).

Is there a way to inspect the switch without dissassembling the entire stearing column? Or should I be looking elsewhere (perhaps under the hood?).

Not overly mechanically inclined (despite 3 years of high-school auto-shop)...
Appreciate any assistance,
Larry

Old 07-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Drifting
Default RE: Cruise Control

Ok, read the "related posts" and will check the break switch and vaccuum lines.

Thanks for the advance assistance (I love this site!),
Larry

Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Yep, cracked vacuum line coming off the unit (behind the battery box). What an easy fix...!

Great resource, this site (now if I can just get my sun-roof to work!)

Larry

Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Overlanding

yeah i red that post and **** my self i mean u use mine EVERY DAY (to save gas and its bad *** lol) and i said mine is a lil nosie i think im gana by some lub for it lol...

i looked under the hood and could not "SEE" any thing but maybe im wrong and as far as the brake peddel WERE? i dont see **** there no hose no switch i dont see anything

Old 07-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Drifting

Sean,
Look at the gizmo behind your battery box (it has a couple lines coming off of it...). One of those lines goes from the bottom of the unit, up the side - through a guide/holder - and into the other end... it's an almost 1/2" thick black rubber tube... see if it's cracked on either the top or the bottom end. Mine was cracked in two places at the top connection.

As for the break switch, I couldn't see *hit either, nor could I feel anything that felt like a switch (although I got plenty of grease on my fingers while trying!). I'm going to guess it's the broken/cracked hose, in my case, and replace it tomorrow...should fix the problem. If there's a break-switch involved I'm gonna have to hire a monkey to crawl under there and find it!

Good luck; thanks for the reply,
Larry

Old 07-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Overlanding

wow thank you for being my eyes lol i will have to look now that i know what too look for and yeah im at work so i walked back in to work with grease all over my fingers too well thank you let me know how it works and i will do the same

Old 07-07-2007, 08:35 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a Disco I and has a vacuum line that goes through the fire wall to
the switch, I just followed the line.
The Disco II maybe different and not have a vacuum switch for the cruise control,
it maybe electric.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Landzu (et al),
I can't see anything going through the firewall (break cylinder is in the way). That said, I replaced the cracked vacuum tube... no joy.

I can only find one switch that the break pedal engages... and this is when the break is off (i.e., not depressed). Can't see anything under the dash and can't feel anything aside from that switch.... I did give it a few presses and it felt like it popped... so maybe something came loose. Will have to test it again.

Are there any other hoses aside from the ones on the unit behind the battery box? I can't even trace a line from that unit to the firewall...???

Again, I appreciate all the help;
Thanks,
Larry

Old 07-07-2007, 03:25 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LMcInnis
I'm not familiar with the vacuum line set up on the Disco II.
But you can trace the vacuum line back from the intake cruise control hook up.
Thats what I did, they are well hidden good luck.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Drifting

Well, I had to replace the brake-light switch under the dash (while messing with it/looking for a cruise-control switch, the plunger got stuck inside the housing, so it no longer contacted the brake pedal... whaddapain!).

I still don't have cruise. When I get under the hood - engine running - and pull the cruise line/cable, then pinch the vacuum line, it holds, but only for a moment... then the diaphram slowly looses hold and the speed drops back to idle. Does this ring any bells? I don't see any cracks in the diaphram, and I've repaired the vacuum hose (with a 7/32's inch inside diameter replacement).

I'm outta ideas. I can't find any other switches under the dash and can't find any other vacuum hoses.

Thanks,
Larry