General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disco 2 Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:51 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 2 Traction Control

Hi guys,

I just recently bought a Disco 2 and the guy i bought it from had said that the traction control has been deactivated, The ABS works fine but the HDC does not seems to be working, (When i press the button there is no notification lights on dash)

Can someone help me where to start to try figure out if it works and if not how to get it working. Im sure he said that the unit had gone on it and a new one and that the remapping was very pricey.

Please Help

Old 12-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

have you checked the fuse box under the hood for missing relays?

Old 12-16-2015, 10:09 AM
8th Gear

No, I will have a look when i get home.

Thanx

Old 12-16-2015, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Just following up on Dro's suggestion, the traction control basically uses the abs to stop wheel spin and send power to the side that has traction in the diff. Dro is the expert here and is suggesting that a relay could be the issue because you said the abs is working. Normally, people get the three amigos (abs, traction control, and hill descent) because the abs system is reading a fault. Abs faults are common and affect all three systems. Since the traction control and hill descent are out... I hope you just need a relay but if it isn't that I would be curious whether you really do have abs working. I read a thread a few months ago about a guy who took his truck to well known indie shop for abs problems and he later learned that the jackass mechanic just disconnected the abs light! I only mention that since the truck is new to you.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 AM
8th Gear

While I was testing the vehicle on a wet road I hit the brakes hard and I heard the ABS as well as felt it and didnt go into a skid so im pretty sure the ABS is working. Does the vehicle need to be in low range before the HDC works?

Old 12-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes it does

Old 12-16-2015, 10:44 AM
8th Gear

Right, didnt do that, will give that a go. The HDC might just work then.

I see the 99 didnt come out with CDL, but the gear is there and just needs to be installed, would you recommend I get it put in? Im sure it makes a big difference.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

If you off road, or drive through seriously deep snow, it makes a world of difference.

I retrofitted a Discovery I transfer shift linkage into mine about a year after I bought my '99, and wish I'd done it sooner. Next up is the SLABS module from a 2004, so I can start the truck with the diff locked and not have to deal with the 3 Amigos.

Attached Thumbnails Disco 2 Traction Control-imag0559.jpg  
Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 AM
8th Gear

Ye il be doing a bit of off roading, will deffo look into fitting it.

Would the SLABS replace the 3 Amigos ?

Old 12-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Disco 2
Right, didnt do that, will give that a go. The HDC might just work then.

I see the 99 didnt come out with CDL, but the gear is there and just needs to be installed, would you recommend I get it put in? Im sure it makes a big difference.
I have the same setup and I just keep a 10mm wrench with me... And some throw away towels... In case I need to engage it.

Quick Reply: Disco 2 Traction Control