General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

discovery 2 lots of problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default discovery 2 lots of problems

OK guys, I am planning on going to the dealer to get a diagnosis. However, I can't get their for about at week, so I figured I would see if anyone could help throw me some ideas. Here are my symptoms whether they are related or not I am not sure.

A)About 2 weeks ago my discovery almost overheated and I found the problem to be a faulty thermostat and replaced it.

B)For a while now the truck has been making two noises:
1. a whining/whistling noise that gets louder as speed increases
2. A clicking noise that also gets louder and more frequent with speed increases
The problem is that I can't tell where the noises are coming from. I also can't tell if it is motor or tranny related because as I let off the gas my rpms decrease along with my speed, and in florida there are no hills to drive down. The truck doesn't make the noise in park or neutral, however it also doesn't make it in drive until I pick up speed to like 25-30mph.

C)Third part of the mystery is today I was driving and noticed the truck getting hot. I pulled over popped the hood and nothing looked wrong. After it sat for a while I started it back up and it never got over operating temp again.

D) The car always smells hot. I can't tell where the smell is coming from because it dissipates too quickly.

So if anyone can help with any of these problems, or if they can be linked together at all please let me know. Thanks

Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: discovery 2 lots of problems

Quit driving it till it can be checked, replacement engines are expensive.
Never, EVER, turn the engine off when it is over heating, especially alloy engines, unless you want to toast them. If it isn't leaking coolant, turn the heater to the highest fan and temp setting and leave the hood done so the heater will help cool off the engine instead of not moving any coolant and letting it just get hotter before it cools off, that is what warps/cracks cylinder heads.