General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dishearten Land Rover Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dishearten Land Rover Owner

Two months ago I thought I hit a jackpot when I bought a Land Rover Discovery 1 300tdi for R 7000. The motor had popped on it but the body was spotless. I entrusted my regular mechanic to redo the engine at R 8 000. That’s when my nightmare started. When they got the motor back together it sounded sweet until you tried to drive it. It was dead, no power whatsoever, I mean I could not even tow someone on a bicycle. The following was done to try and get this engine to go :

Diesel pump was changed
Injectors where serviced (Helped a bit)
Timing was reset several times.
Turbo was changed as the original one had a faulty bearing. [/ul]

To no avail. The motor was dead. I could barely reach 100km/h on the freeway and it smoked like hell (White and Black Smoke). I then took it to a Bosch service center the do a compression test (They said its all fine) and the timing. According to them the timing was at 1.2 and should have been at 1.54, they also had to refit the injector pump as it was out by a tooth. Motor sounded better and it went better, could get 130km/h on the highway unit I reached an uphill then it was down to third and prodding along at 80km/h in third gear. Lots of Black smoke when motor was under strain and constant smoke when driving.

Then came yesterday, it sounded as if I was dragging cans behind me. The Rocker Shaft and the tappet right at the back near the firewall broke and the bold holding the tappet cover at the back was loose.

So here I am now. Should I burn this baby or keep it. Halfway through this process I realized that the mechanic was a Dumb@ss and I was by now over R 10 000 poorer. Is the original problem that toasted the motor still there, is the settings wrong, is the turbo pipes stuffed. My jackpot is now becoming a crackpot.

Regards

Frustrated as hell in Durban!!

Old 12-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dishearten Land Rover Owner

Thats a vw tdi motor very reliable. The engine timing (belt) is a bit of a trick. The cam pulley is on a camfored (conicle) hub and the back of the cam has a slot to lock the cam on the deck of the head. The crank is locked by a pin. So the injection pump can be timed by a dial indicater, not any bone head can do this. Believe it or not if your in europe take it to anyone who services vw delivery trucks. If your in the states sell it to me!!!! scott
I used to modify the timing for my Canadian customers (for a little bit of ***) one got pulled over at 110 miles an hour in New York when the cop found a diesel defender rattling he went back to the car and tested his radar gun with a tuning fork, and told my customer that he couldnt believe it was correct and let him go with a warning.