General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Drunk Tachometer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Drunk Tachometer...

Open to suggestions/ideas........97 Disco/Auto.....My Tach likes to jump all around at idle & while driving......Does it more often than not lately, any suggestions? Thanks!!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Tach hooks to the alternator. White wire on the back I believe. Check if it's tight. Or could be a sign your alternator is going.

The following users liked this post:
Detoured Discovey (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thank you for the insight......I'll check it out tomorrow. It sat for multiple years so anything is possible.....Alternator was locked up at time of rescue....could be onto something!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Probably corrosion if the alt was once upon a time locked up...... Might have to remove the spade to clean it up, dielectric grease to keep from roasting wire connector. To see if the alternator is actually going south all you need to do is check your headlights....... if they're signaling the mother ship then it's time to source another. Do not buy a box store replacement/rebuild, it will become so common to replace the replacement it will become an existential existence all it's own. ***** in your court......

The following users liked this post:
Detoured Discovey (09-13-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That white wire sure was a flimsy connection.....Didn't seem to cure anything but I think I'll take the advise provided and drop it off for a rebuild in the morning as I need to drive right past the rebuilder in the AM.

Could it be a poor ground somewhere maybe?
I ask because the red ring surrounding the 'new' ignition switch flickers, heck it's flickering right now with no key engaged.......thoughts?

Old 09-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Cool, diodes are the main issue and rebuilds overlook them. Grounds are everywhere. If you don't already have this you need to; landroverresource.com 590mb download of the "Rave" - the LR Service Manual. In it you'll find the 97-99 ETM - Electrical Troubleshooting Manuals. Great read on ground locations. Yes, I'd clean up as many as you can find because I think corrosion is going to become your best buddy for awhile. Dissimilar metal mostly. Most of the LR connections can use a dab of dielectric grease.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks....it's out & will be dropped off in the AM. I wrote 'diodes' on it with a question mark.........maybe he'll get my drift. Yes, I need to down load the 'Rave'.......Honestly gave myself a headache yesterday attempting to find info in older threads.....gave up, poured a bourbon. No harm in rebuilding, should'a pulled the starter as well just to be safe.......I fear it'll be the grounds which cause my pain, may run some new ones.....Thank you.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy

I like "I was warned.....But I did it anyway." Have no fear, you'll enjoy the truck for many years once the gremlins are worked out. It took me a couple of years to figure out LR methods but it's been six since my last really big issue. They're built like a rolling museum of the arcane. I have a 94 GM that is older and yet remains leak free and the electrical is still in pristine condition..... LR's are projects for folks with idle hands........

Old 09-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

They're built like a rolling museum of the arcane

So frigging true lol

Old 09-13-2015, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Aint it though? Who uses "crush washers" anymore? You gotta buy em by the 10# bag on these things. For a vehicle capable of water crossings don't you think they'd spend a few more pennies on waterproof electrical connectors? Rain isn't supposed to stop you from parking outside.......

Quick Reply: Drunk Tachometer...