General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel injection/Emission failure (where applicable)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:11 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injection/Emission failure (where applicable)

Iown a ranger rover 1990 3.9 vogue petrol engine.
It's a good car with not much millage on (around 40 thousand km).I got the car brand new.

Though the problem i have now is the illumination of the exclamation mark ( ! ) on the dash board.

I checked with my User's Manueland it said, "Illumination of thisamber warning light notifies you of a malfunction in the electronic fuel injection system." and goes on to say, "This signal will also illuminate in the event of component failureof the vehicle's emission system." It's conclusion is "Any malfunction of either system will obviously impair the efficancy and operformance of the vehicle and you are advised to consult your Dealer as soon as possible if the signal is given."

WellI went to the Daler and he wants 60 euros only to look at it and diagnose the problem. So I would really appreciate some feed back to remedy the pain of my Range Rover.
The car still functuions fine eventhough the light is still on. I've been driving it this wayfor about 5 months now. It seems to be ineficiant as the User's Manuel informed, because its eating up too much fuel.
I was thinking maybe its my Oxygen Sensor that is giving me the problem and it needs replacement.

Anyway Thanks for reading this.
Cheers

P.S: I am also thinking of changeing my exaust manifold cause its rusty and looks bad. Dose changing my manifold make my vehicle more "fuel efficient?"

Old 02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Fuel injection/Emission failure (where applicable)

Spend the money and have it tested properly, yes it is expensive, that is what they like to charge over here also.
Don't go throwing parts at it, you talk about blowing money, that will be what you do if you don't have some fault codes to work with.
As for the manifold, if it is not leaking, don't worry about it, changing it out won't improve your mileage.
Mike

Old 02-09-2007, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback Mike.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear

Anybody else who can help me with this problem? has anyone faced the same situation with the light ( ! ) on the dash board?

Anyway I have another problem. when I drive my range rover on the motor way and reach 60 mph ( ~100 km/h ) the whole vehicle starts to shiver like mad and doesn't stop untillI decelerate to 60km/h.Sometimes when tghe road is perfectly smooth it doesn't do that, but if i run over a tiny stone at 60 mph the whole thing shivers like mad. I think its the shaft that is responsible for the wheel turning (I don't know what its called exactly.) Anyone here who can help?
Thanks.
Savatage

Old 02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to put it this way-- but Disco Mike recommended you have it checked out by a professionalshop, and it seems you arechoking at paying the fee associated with getting to the root cause of the fuel injection problem. Well mate --- there are no shortcuts when dealing with a modernLand Rover. Not since the "Series" vehicles made a long time ago, has evena mechanically inclined owner been able to work on all aspects of their own vehicle. It takes special diagnostic tools and equipment to service the Range Rover. Your problem may be inside the Air Flow Meter, a wiring harness, or a sensor thathas packed it in.

The vibration you are referring to through the steering is called "shimmy" here in the States, and it can be caused by swivel-pin housing preload out of spec, loose wheel bearings, a worn-out steering stabilizer, worn panhard rods bushings, worn tie-rodends --- in other words--- excessive free-play in the steering system. Again-- a reputable Land Rover shop knows exactly where to look.

Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com