General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help drive shaft pulley reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help drive shaft pulley reinstall

I am finally getting my truck back together. However, I did not mark the drive shaft where the key is. I put the seal on the drive shaft and notice the slot for the key on the drive shaft pulley. Am I going to have to pull the seal again and mark it? I know about where the key is but of course I can't see it and don't expect to be able to move the pulley once its on there to match it exactly.

Thanks,

Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"... if there is none under it there ain't none in it *copied this from someone else."

Tow-Mater in Car's 2, said about Miles Axlerod ...an extremely modified version of a Range Rover L322.
If you don't believe it, just ask my grandson.

As for your problem, you should be able to probe for the keyway with a carefully bent piece of stiff but thin wire. Tread lightly... mark it with a sharpie.

"Don't get in a hurry, especially if your getting paid by the hour"

Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the reply, coat hanger worked just great. Putting the pulley back on and I broke a 10g weight off of it as I was getting it pushed back the last few mm's . Now what do I do with it?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're just having all sorts of issues... you could weld it back on, glue it back on or tape in on with some gorilla tape. All less than perfect solutions, but hey.. it's just a truck. You probably wouldn't notice any difference if you left it off. Not a very high reving motor.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, I have a mechanic friend who could probably take it in for me and spot weld it but I really didn't want to take it off the shaft again. I have maybe 2mm if that to have it all the way on. I didn't see it on there and I probably did it when I was using a pry bar to hit it. Not much room since I din't take radiator off.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Is there an inspection hole on the trans that you can put something in to lock it up while you turn the bolt on the flywheel? Trying to get the nut back on. I used the starter trick to get it off but having trouble holding it to get it on. Was going to use the nut to get the final 2-3mm I need for the flywheel to be completely back but forgot the wheel turns. Yes, brilliant I know but this is my first real go of it besides regular maintenance. My radiator is on so I can't get a good enough wack at it to get that fully set in.