General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Which Land rover is safest in a car crash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Land rover is safest in a car crash?

Hi!
I have recently crashed my ww polo. I hit a moose, and they are very common where i live:-(
So now i'm looking for a very safe car.
Is Land Rover a good choise? Which model is the safest?

Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Which Land rover is safest in a car crash?

Well, the newest will be safest but will also take the most damage during a hit. A heavy duty bull bar bumper (like the ARB or TJM not a bolt on cosmetic one that's so common these days) will help. Nothing is going to survive a moose hit very well short of a Unimog with full armoured front-end though.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Three Wheeling

Long time ago a couple of mates worked as auto body builders building truck bodies and another mate bought a new utility (Pick up to the North Americans reading this), he had a local authority contract as a part time Ranger to patrol for and book speeding motorists, the area he patrolled had lots of Kangaroos so he asked these mates to build him a 'roo bar that was capable of hitting a 'roo at 100 mph, they said "Yeah..... we can even build one capable of hitting a 'roo at 150 mph but ...... the vehicle will probably sh*t itself".

I've never seen a moose in the flesh but they look a lot bigger than a 'roo, a Bull bar wont help much if the moose comes over the hood of any vehicle and through the windscreen, so I think I would take ajh's advice for the bull but be really careful not to ever test it.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Maybe you should look more towards the lotus line of cars. Shoot for passing under the moose

Are you trying to distinguish between safety features on the older models or newer?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I have known a number of people over the years who have been in some pretty bad accidents with their Rovers, they all came out of the accidents in good shape. Rovers are pretty strong be it the Disco's or the Range Rovers.
My concern has always been for the person that hits me, they won't fair well.
Mike

Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Drifting

Anyone hit by a rover= pushin up daisys..... simply said---

There was actually a study done in england (i belive) that stated the Land Rover Discovery has one of the highest safety ratings when involved in accidents (hits by other moving objects) That safety number was reduced, however, on the self caused accident list( ie. rollovers, skids etc...)

as far as the safest vehicle..... possibley a Defender 110?? cant see a lot happening to them...

Old 05-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Rock Crawling

shoot a Tomahawk at it and after the smoke clears a defender will still be sitting their looking smug

Old 05-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Drifting

5th gear did an experiment where they crashed a Renault Espace minivan against a Dicso. It was a 40% overlap on the front opposing sides of a front end crash. Driver side v. driver side, each car with a child seat in the back. I don't remember the speed at which they crashed but both the child dummy in the rear, and the adultdummy in the front were in better condition in the Renault. This is because the Rover has such a stiff chassis and body. The Renault crumples taking the impact off the passengers.

Although... I know from crashing in my disco, not much damage to me or my vehicle.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:56 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lesson learnt from the 5th Gear TV show 'experiment' ? If you're going to crash and you're in a Discovery - aim straight for the b'stard! If you're in a Renault, avoid Discoveries that are aiming straight for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIKu1...ted&search

You tube link above is to the 5th Gear TV episode.

Cheers,