General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Land Rover SD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 12:58 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Land Rover SD?

Hello! When I started driving my '96 Discovery I last year, I immediately fell in love with it. When I started to get interested in the history and details of my car, I ran into some problems, not literally of course. I have managed to answer most of them, via this LR Forum, but one answer has eluded me. What does the "SD" mean on the back of my car. I knew what it could and probably meant, but I couldn't find a search result for "Land Rover Discovery SD" anywhere. I thought it was a version, like Discovery SE7 or something like that. Then when that didn't seem right, I thought it might mean a trim package. (it could mean both, I don't know). When that didn't yield a solid result, I turned to here. I think it may have something to do with who actually built the car, as in what actual car manufacturer. I have seen one source say it was made by the British company Rover, not to be confused with Land Rover. But there is no solid evidence of this either. It could just be Land Rover who made it, but it could be a less made model. One answer was that it stood for "somewhat dependable". I thought it meant Standard Discovery or Sport Discovery, but that's just a guess. I could just be being stupid when the answer is totally obvious, but I would still love to hear it from people who know more about this than I do. I honestly don't know what it means, so I turn to you, the LR Community, for the answer. What does the "SD" stand for and was my car made by Land Rover? Thanks. (I know its a bad picture, but if you double zoom you can see that it says SD)

Attached Thumbnails Land Rover SD?-img_8272.jpg  

Last edited by Jack Graham; 12-24-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

According to my wife...

The SD on my rover stands for...Shi**y Discovery.

The HSE on her rover stands for...High Society Edition.

According to Wikipedia...

It's just trim levels and when there is a 7 at the end...that means it has seating for 7.

I believe I've read somewhere...what each badging means...but can't remember where.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
Jack Graham (12-25-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don’t think that the built by Rover means anything as it was the parent company at the time but the early Discovery had many parts pulled from the parts bin for various rover vehicles: such as door handles and taillights. This does not mean they were not made on Land Rover assembly lines in Land Rover facilities.

As far as SD: I believe that is just a trim level and was just a base level. Not sure what it stands for but I am sure someone here can answer. Maybe standard duty? If I remember correctly they did not have sunroofs, had cloth seats and were often 5 spds. A very desirable package to some of us and was what I was looking for when I came across my Kalahari instead. I had to have white and wanted something unique to replace my previous D1.

Jack Graham (12-25-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Sd was the base model usually had no sunroofs, some had cloth interior and manual seats

Jack Graham (12-25-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
According to my wife...
The SD on my rover stands for...Shi**y Discovery.
The HSE on her rover stands for...High Society Edition.
According to Wikipedia...
It's just trim levels and when there is a 7 at the end...that means it has seating for 7.
I believe I've read somewhere...what each badging means...but can't remember where.
Brian.
You are correct the SD, SE7, HSE are trim levels, but I love how your wife thinks.

Only from what I've been told the HSE is the Holy $hit Edition.
More like > High Specification Equipment

Last edited by OverRover; 12-24-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Jack Graham (12-25-2017)
Old 12-24-2017, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2000 SD7 with sunrooves. sunroofs? whatever. go figure. all i know is that they both leak and rattle.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 AM
Winching
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Mine is a '97 SD. SD badges/sticker on front fenders under side indicator and V8i on lower right corner of cargo door.
No sunroofs. Leather seats. Not heated.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:05 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

Although this site doesn't address the SE, SD, SE7 issue, there is a bunch of trivia that many will enjoy.

Land Rover FAQ - Vehicle Identification - Discoveries

Old 12-30-2017, 12:42 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

The link below talks about the progression of the model designation by LR for the Disco 2. I know it does not fully apply to your Disco 1, but worth a read about the basis for the SD designation:

The 1999-2004 Land Rover Discovery II: a look back at these modern classic SUVs | CLASSIC CARS TODAY ONLINE

Old 12-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

Article kind of summed it up with...don't buy one unless you are mechanically inclined...or...if the person that owned it before you had deep pockets.

Good article though, thanks for sharing.

Brian.

Quick Reply: Land Rover SD?