General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

leaking anti freez

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking anti freez

Hi, i'm new. i do not own a rover, but i'm working on my sister-in-laws 99 Dicovery II. i hope i can get some help from you guys.

k, it started to leak antifreeze real bad on the drivers side. looked as if it was coming from the head, like a blown head gasket. well i just got the head off, and the gasket looks fine, can't find a crack in the head or block. what the heck else could it be?

Old 03-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: leaking anti freez

I have a D1, but I think I remember hearing about the hoses going to the throttle control leaking. Land Rover made a kit to fix this. If you don't hear back from anyone else, re-post this in the discovery section, or search that forum. There are posts about it there...

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

It is either the heating unit that goes into the throttle body or the head gasket. By the way, you can't inspect a head gasket by looking for cracks, the best way to verify if the head gasket is leaking is to due a pressure test on the coolant system.
Mike

Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 PM
6th Gear

thats all i fix is land rovers and i am doing a 99 discovery that had the same problem that your having i pressure tested the system and it wouldn't hold any pressure and i checked all the hoses so the only thing left to look at was the head gaskets.. turns out the gaskets were good, but the heads were warped. you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it you need a straight edge to check it and you might find your problem..

Old 04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
4wd Low

warped head huh. that kinda crossed my mind. how many thousandths is exceptable? being aluminum, is it possible to get it machined? how much you think a new head is?

and thank you very much. this has been a head scratcher, since i was positive it wasa blown head gasket.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:26 AM
6th Gear

you can send it to a machine shop

Old 04-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree, send the heads out to a shop and have then checked. Worse case if you have a ba head, here is a great site to buy used ones from,
http://www.roverlandparts.com/index....S&Category=148
Mike

Old 04-02-2007, 04:06 PM
6th Gear

well depending on where you live i work for a independent land rover shop so i might have some heads laying around if you need them... let me know and i will check ...

Old 04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
4wd Low

i'm going out to check for warpness right now. my dad has a friend that works at a machine shop that will mill it for me. I am really gonna check closley for cracks too. I live in Ogden UT. thats bout 45 miles north of Salt Lake. if I need a head, I'll let ya know. hey, did you guys know Rovers are expensive to fix?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:38 PM
4wd Low

i put a straight edge on it, found a couple spots that are warped, but not where it was leaking. also, there is no trails on the head gasket to indicate its leakage passage. but you can see where the gasket wasn't sealed properly. weird. i'm taking the head to the shop tomorrow. i'll have him check for warpage, and any possible cracks i can't see. and then mill it down if necessary. thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: leaking anti freez