General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

low oil pressure advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low oil pressure advice

here is the lowdown ..

i have a 2003 disco hse .. It is getting about 5 psi at idle (500rpm) and around 15 - 20 at 2500rpm.

Checked the sensor, oil sump and they are ok. I pulled the oil pan, no crap at the bottom everything was lean. Very very very very minute metal down there. The crank bearings looked a little beat up but nothing major. THERE IS NO ENGINE KNOCKING ... so I am like WTF . Oviously its the bearing not allowing oil to get up to the engine,and or the oil pump, but what i was told about the oil pump is .. that it either works or it doesnt work. meaning, when it goes bad it goes bad and you will know it since it will make very loud noises.

So my solution is .. new engine. $4000 from gotengines.com 1 year unlimited milage warranty I believe, with free shipping. Not a bad deal.

Has anyone had this issue ? and if so how long did it go before the engine blew up ?

I put rotella 50 weight with slick 50 in it. And I am just goin gto drive it until the engine craps out on me, I have already started saving for the engine lol ..

Everyone has told me that it could go 100 more miles or 10,000 more miles. I try to keep it under 3000 rpm at all times.

I guess when the low oil pressure light stays on up threw all the rpms, at that time i will know i am screwed ....

damn the rovers .. haha

thanks
bobby

Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: low oil pressure advice

cant remember if 03 or 04, but some 4.6 engines in the discoverys had the front cover manufactured incorrectly causing low oil pressure. check with a dealer for correct affected vin range. they may be able to help you out.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If yours is one of the bad engines per Rovers vin list, consider installing a new oil pump. The new pump is only a short term fix, maybe 30.to 50,000 miles, till it wears out but it will help you for awhile.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Overlanding

Its actually both 03 & 04. However my vin does not fall into that range.

I was just wandering how long someone thought I could run with low oil pressure using a crap load of slick 50...

Old 01-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator

First, it does not pertain to 04's, only the select 03 engines.
Why trash it, replace the pump and go another 20,000 plus miles till the next pump fails.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Overlanding

Well I was planning on replacing the pump. But I was told that there is no way to tell if the pump os bad until it fails.

I don't have the $1000 it would take to get that fixed ... and then there be nothing wrong with it....

I am going off the fact that the bearings are causing the low oil pressure, which would mean, in time a new engine would be needed.

I want to slap the guy who sold me this damn car .. but i love it ... so i will fix it ... even if it means my girlfriend leaving me hahah

bobby

Old 01-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

I bet you can do a new oil pump for less and since you had little or no metal in the pan from the bearings, I would really suggest you replace the pump.
Good luck

Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Overlanding

alright i will look into doing that ..

can you suggest a good place to find cheap but good rover parts ?

bobby

Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
4wd Low

Atlantic british sells a pump rebuild kit for about 200.00, there are two gears that make up the pump, they crack due to the stress from the improperly machined front cover. I am working on an 03 and an 04 right now with that exact problem. The 04 pump blew apart, taking out the front cover with it, the 03 just has low pressure at idle, caught it in time! I think some of the bad parts spilled over into the 04 models, even though Rover says otherwise.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

MD,
Since this is a cast type issues, not the oil pump, how do the dowls that the pump align with hold up, are you seeing them wear also or is it just the pump?

Quick Reply: low oil pressure advice