General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

LR3 window problems and keyless entry problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 03:13 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 window problems and keyless entry problems!!

Hey guys!
I bought my 2005 LR3 SE in June and I LOVE it but it has a few annoying problems. My driver side window stopped working yesterday. Since I bought the car I've been having problems with the keyless entry. (US Land Rover)

Problem number 1- my driver side window won't work. All of the other windows work fine but for some reason the driver side just stopped. It didn't slow down or feel weak or anything it just stopped working. I could hear a clicking noise so I took the door panel off and it sounds like it's coming from the motor but I have no idea. I took a video of it.
http://youtu.be/B83txNzOrZs

Problem number 2- my keyless entry works sometimes but most of the time it doesn't. If I hit the key fob on my knee a couple of times it works. It's happening with both remotes, so I don't think it's the battery but I'm drawing a blank. I found the splice in the passenger side floor and it looks fine. I replaced the car battery and the alternator still nothing. I checked the sunroof drain tube where it meets the side of the car on the driver side and it's totally clean and dry. I checked the wiring on the driver side floor and I don't see a splice. It looks like there's white flaky calcium buildup down there but I don't think it's wet. I think the previous owner had the issue fixed. I also took a video of this.
http://youtu.be/O0jVbpoxOlk

Any help would be seriously appreciated!
Thanks!
Pete

Last edited by Pete Driscoll; 03-27-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Problem number 1- remove the regulator and make sure the rollers are not broken and causing a bind. check to see if power is getting to the motor, by checking the voltage on the plug by using a meter and have someone push the window up or down switch. We just replaced the motor on my sons 04, had the same symptoms.
Problem number 2, There is a receiver for the FOB, usually somewhere under the headliner, not sure on the LR3. If both of your FOB's light is on while pushing the button, then it probably is the receiver not the FOB(i am assuming the LR3 FOB has a small light on it.

The following users liked this post:
Pete Driscoll (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 05:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Pete,

Check the ground at the driver's A pillar for the window. A quick test is reading the wiring diagram, providing a known good ground to the ground circuit, and then work the window motor switch. I've seen the harness pull on the A pillar bulkhead connector and break the pin inside the connector.

Peter

The following users liked this post:
Pete Driscoll (03-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:29 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed!!

The window problem was the switch! The motor was only moving up so I unplugged it from the driver side and connected it to the passenger side and it worked in just fine. I bought a new switch for around $130 on Amazon and it works like a champ!

The keyless entry problem was the key fob battery. I thought the job was super easy. Every post I've seen said it was a pain in the *** but as long as you're patient and carful it was no problem. All the videos I've seen people are brutally taking that thing apart but I just used a Dremel and carefully caught along the seam. Soldering the new battery in was a piece a cake. DONT RUSH IT!

Thanks for all the help!!
Pete