General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MAF sensor or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensor or not?

The SES light on my '01 Disco II has been on for a little while. I had the code read at a Rover-specific mechanic and it said that the MAF sensor was bad. I bought some cleaner, sprayed it out and pulled the positive cable on the battery to reset the code. After about 30 or so miles, the light came back on. I repeated the above a couple more times to no avail. I finally replaced the MAF sensor with a factory part from the dealer, reset the code with the battery cable and after about 30 more miles, the light came back on.
Am I missing something? Is there anything that would cause it to throw a false code for the MAF sensor?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

You probably did not clear the code when you disconnected the battery. Disconnecting the battery worked fine on vehicles up to 1995 which used the OBD I system. When OBD II came out in 1996, the ecus were smarter, and just disconnecting the battery will not remove the code from memory. Take the vehicle to someone who can scan the computer, get the 4 digit "P" code, write it down, have them clear it with their scanner, drive the vehicle and see if it returns.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Drifting

Thanks...I'll give it a try.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

get to an autozone or similar parts store and get it read for free and get the 4 digit codes and bring them here. don't listen to what the parts guy says just get the codes.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

And, you "NEVER" try and clean a Bosch MAF in a D2, if it wasn't dead to start with then, you just finished it off.
Go to you local parts store and get the 4 digit fault code read and get back to us, then plan on buying a new replacement, not an aftermarket or OEM look alike cause they won't work and will throw codes right out of the box. Check out British Parts of Utah for about the best deal on a new MAF.
In the future never play with the battery connections, do you have any idea of the memory you can erase that then has to be relearned just cause you didn't know what you were doing.
Just reread your thread, didn't see where you bought a new MAF, was it from the Rover dealer and does it have matching part numbers with the old one? Also, replace your air filter if you haven't yet.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Drifting

I bought the new MAF sensor from the Land Rover dealer in Centerville, UT (the only one around) I will have to check the #'s and see if they match. (I took the parts dept. word for it) I had been told by a Rover mechanic that you could clean the sensor with MAF sensor cleaner from the local parts store. Was that some misinformation? I am going to have the codes read tonight so, hopefully, I can see what's going on.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes. that was misinformation. you can clean a D1 MAF but you can't clean a D2 MAF.. no way.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

So, you have a 1 year warranty from Rover, if needed.
Let us know what you find.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Drifting
Default Codes

here are the fault codes:

p1171
p1174

p0171
p0174

Old 10-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Had the codes cleared by a Rover-specific mechanic. Now, the engine is running a little rough. It idles at about 500, climbs slowly up to a little over 1000 and drops back down. Is this some kind of "re-learning" the system has to do? (I know my Chevy goes through that when the codes are reset) To top it off, after about 20 miles, the SES light came back on. Anybody have any ideas with these new bits of info?

Quick Reply: MAF sensor or not?