General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

My doors won't lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 02:26 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My doors won't lock

We just bought a 97' Discovery and I can't get the doors to lock from the outside. The key won't operate the driver lock at all. Does that lock open electronically or with a barrel and clip? The reason I ask, is the alarm system was cut out of the rover and I am wondering if they cut one of the wires that makes the doors lock. The doors lock electronically when all of the doors are shut. However, you can't lock the doors from either the driver lock or the back door lock. Any advice/suggestions?

Old 11-26-2005, 05:03 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: My doors won't lock

We came up with a way to lock the doors. Since the power locks still worked from the inside, we bought the least expensive keyless entry system from Car toys and now it locks. The driver's lock still doesn't function with the key, but at least we can lock the car.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I needed was to add remotes to my receiver. I got new units for about 1/3 dealer price for my 94 & 97 Discovery on -

http://www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

They seem to have remotes & instructions for everything on their site.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:04 PM
1st Gear

New to the site but I am having a similar problem I have tried to resynchronise my handset. But my drivers side door will not connect in any way to the handset.

All my doors are functioning with the handset accept for the drivers door.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Rock Crawling

Actually, it sounds very much like a bad earth problem, would suggest removing the door cards and checking the cables on the door that is not locking. Check to see how it is earthed and the condition of the connection. If it can not be locked at all, either from inside or outside, it would be worth removing the central locking motor and testing it, might even just be worn.

Normally if it was a remote issue, I would expect none of the doors to lock, the fact they lock shows that the vehicle is getting the signal okay from the remote key.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:00 AM
4wd High

I'm experiencing a similar door lock (plus alarm) problem with a 2000 Discovery II. This model underwent some changes between these model years so I'm not sure if troubleshooting is the same.

I can lock all doors from the dashboard lock without fail. However, when I'm outside the car whether I insert the key into the driver's door or use the remote to lock the doors Only the driver's door locks. The horn blasts once as if the alarm is armed. When I open any of the unlocked doors the alarm doesn't sound.

Where should I start in troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Drifting

Your horn is sounding because that is telling you there is a problem this is called a misslock sound .You must check to see if all of your doors are shut , also see if your interior lights go out when you opperate the remote,if not you may have a faulty door switch.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:10 PM
4wd High

Sounds like that could be the deal, 4X4 Guy. Thanks for the tip. I didn't notice the lights one way or the other. I think the dome light switch set to off. I'll notice it next time I use the car. Is the door switch one item, or does each door have a separate switch? I need to get a users manual. . .

Do you know of a good place to pick up parts online? Thanks again.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
1st Gear
Default Door wont lock ?

I can lock all the doors from the inside of the car. But I cant lock the driver side door at all,with the key or using the inside botton. Help ! its a discovery II 1999 ?