General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New ECU won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New ECU won't start?

Ok sorry if this treads in here somewhere, but had a hard time finding it. This is what I got...
1997 Disco series 1, SE
around 145,000 miles
Snorkel & K&N air filter
Small lift
Little oversize tires
I'm new here guys, but I need your help.

I have a check engine light on and had it scanned. The scanner would not read my ECU the tec said it could be the ECU is bad or the harness is bad. The scanner would read the ABS computer. Now this leads me to believe the ECU is bad.

I put a new ECU in from a scrapped 97 LR. The harness fit the computer. It would turn over (sounded funny, real fast) but would not start. With new ECU in check engine light was not on during cranking or ignition in the on position. Put old ECU back in and started right up (with check engine light still on).

Can anyone shine some light on this? Does the new ECU need to be reprogramed since it was out of a different LR? If so how or who can program it. Do I have to take it to a dealer or can someone else program it, being the closest dealership is is about 250 miles away!

I also had someone say the OBD2 plug might be bad, if so would I still be able to read the ABS computer?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes the dealer needs to program the ECU, the alarm ECU and the engine ECU need to talk to each other and if they are strangers its a no go.

Yes it could be bad wiring in the OBDII port or anywhere along the line.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Am I remembering correctly that another member was having a no start problem with a used ECU, until he got the alarm ECU from the same Disco he got the ECU from? Something about how the alarm and engine computers are tied together, and need to be replaced together (from the same vehicle)?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank guys. I'll have to call the dealer, last time thou all they wanted to do is sell me a new computer for around $900 if I remember correctly. Ill see if the alarm ecu is still in the LR I got the ECU from. I think that will be the easiest fix...

Could you tell me were the alarm ecu is? Man I sound like a little kid asking 50 question. Anyway thanks guys I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I knew I had seen it somewhere!

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...t=alarm&page=9

I knew reading every post on this forum, whether it applies to my vehicle or not, would pay off someday!